Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Creatures of habit.

It wasn't until I tried to fix my son's raggedy bear last week, that I realized just how much he hates change.

No exaggeration, he has complained about the state of that bear for months - maybe years. "Look Mama! Harry has owies!" He exclaims, pointing to Harry's open hands and feet, where the fur has been chewed apart to reveal the lining of Harry's limbs.

I thought fixing the bear would solve several problems in one go. Matthew could enjoy his bear again; I would feel like a better mother for not allowing Harry to look like Freddy Kruegger's bear; Harry could even go out in public again.

But when I saw his reaction last week, I understood: he never really wanted the bear fixed at all. He liked him just the way he was - all open wounds and tatty arms and legs. His grumbling was all just part of his enjoyment of the bear.

And now it's clear to me - Matthew is very, very fond of his routines. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are eaten at the table, in the same spot. His bedtime ritual is always the same - pajamas, brush teeth, read story, milk, lights off. Thursday is the day he goes to Luke's house. Tuesday is the day Grandma comes to visit. His sippy cup has the blue lid, his brother's has the green - don't dare ever get them mixed up.

It's all about routine.

And at the same time, I had another awakening - it's not just him that's dependent on his daily rituals - I am too.

As much as I like to think of myself as this adventurous, up-for-anything, move-countries-at-the-drop-of-a-hat type person, I guess I'm not any more.

I need things to fall into place. I need the reassurance, the speed, the safety of everything happening the way it's supposed to.

When I was young, it didn't matter if things changed or got canceled at the last minute - I could simply pick myself up and adapt to the situation.

Now, when my routines get disrupted, everything gets upset. It's like fifty ten foot dominoes all toppling down around me. Or, at least, that's what it feels like.

When my work is canceled, for instance, it's as though all the intricate things that are hanging in balance to make work happen - childcare, study time, practicum hours, money - all come crashing down.

An upset routine = major stress.

I'm thirty one. And I hate to admit it, but I like my routine. I like my coffee in the morning. I like knowing which days I work and which days the kids have childcare. I like that Lost is on every Tuesday night. These small patterns keep me grounded.

Perhaps when, one day, life isn't pulling me in thirty directions at once, I'll be able to handle the sporadic changes life tosses at me. But for now, I'm definitely a creature of habit.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

13 comments:

Elaine A. said...

Yep, I agree. Routine is awesome, especially when you have little children because that's usually how they thrive and what they and we all NEED.

And on another note... I'm SO behind on LOST. Ugh.

Nikosmommy said...

Routines make life manageable. Spontaneity is all cool and fun when you're 22, but once you've got kids routine is what keeps you sane!! (some might disagree but I feel strongly about this). And in my experience, kids absolutely NEED routine,,,it makes them feel secure, safe and in control.

Mwa said...

I think it's nearly impossible to cope with having small children without some kind of a routine.

The Tompkins Family said...

I'm the same way. I'm a creature of habit and routine. And I found my daughter thrives on a routine as well.

Loukia said...

Same here... I need/like routine, order, and I HATE change. Unless change equals = moving into a 6,000square foot home with an ocean view from my kitchen window? I'm not too keen on change!

Sparkless said...

Routine was my saviour when my kids were little too. Wait till they are teenagers and then you won't have any routine and you'll long for those days.

Mom Mayhem says: said...

Me too -I like our routines and not very keen on change. BTW Lost was a good one last night!-It'll be a sad day when Lost isn't on anymore.

Angela said...

What happens when Lost ends in two weeks?!?!? Ack!

PS We are creatures of routine in my household too, my 4 YO DD especially. She thrives on it. She will even start to put herself to bed at 7 PM if we don't....lol!

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

I'm all for routines too. I just had a baby 3 months ago and now that she's settled into more of a routine it makes my day so much easier. Saying that, I think it's important a routine should be flexible to some extent around life so it's not to stressful if you need to break it for a day or two

kanishk said...

it's nearly impossible to cope with having small children without some kind of a routine.
post free classifieds

LisaDay said...

I am also a creature of habit. I even have a hard time getting off the highway even though I know it's backed up. I sit there, not sure if I can do it, and then it's too late and I am stuck in traffic. It's sad really.

I agree. Kids need routine.

LisaDay

Emma said...

Sometimes, if just ONE THING is off from my routine, the way that I try to keep our crazy lives under control - just one small thing? I'm about ready to kill someone and I'm probably in tears.

Ah, life.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't have routines down pat - but I do understand the difficulty with change. My son Oliver has clearly started on the same path. But then we both adapt very quickly - so that's good right?