Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chasing dinosaurs.

Living in Southern Alberta is quite handy when you have two dinosaur-loving sons. Because just up the road is the Royal Tyrell Museum, a seriously impressive dinosaur museum.

We set off early, telling the boys we were going to meet some dinosaurs. Matthew looked dubious, but went with it.

The thing about the Tyrell Museum, is that it's located in a town called Drumheller, two hours north east of Calgary. And I'm not kidding when I tell you that around every corner is a life-sized dinosaur statue.

So, as we pulled into town and rounded the corner to meet this guy, the boys were somewhat awe-struck.



And just to put the size of this beast into perspective...


The Tyrell Museum is magnificent. And if you have the time to wander around the exhibitions and take in all the interesting facts and sights, I'm sure you could learn a lot.


Us? We were with our two under three. And so it was more of a dash-from-one-gallery-to-another while trying to prevent small hands from grabbing bones and fossils.


In the end, the places we spent the most amount of time?

The gift shop... Ahem.


The giant play structure outside...


And basically just chasing dinosaurs all over town.


Because when you're visiting with kids, that's what you do.


This post was not sponsored by the Tyrell Museum, just an account of our trip there.

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

ShannonL said...

Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun - especially for little boys! :-)

..... Carmen said...

I love Tyrell - did you have a chance to visit the Hoodoos?

gringationcancun said...

That thing is HUGE!!! looks like a pretty awesome place :)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Looks like you had fun. Next time you'll have to hit up the sprinkler park by that huge dinosaur! We had a bast there last summer.

Mwa said...

That's exactly the kind of thing we love to do. And I adore the dinosaur. Remember the one we saw in Switzerland? Maybe not - here it is

http://mwaonline.blogspot.com/2009/07/poop-rain-in-plain-in-switzerland.html

(With apologies for the part about the poo.)

LisaDay said...

What a great place to visit. I hope you got to hold on to your wallet.

LisaDay

Loukia said...

Awesome! That T-Rex is scary! I'll have to take my boys there when we take them to that side of Canada! :)
When YOU come to Ottawa, I'll take you guys to the Museum of Nature and the Children's Museum - your boys would love it! :)

If I Could Escape . . . said...

That place looks fantastic! We have Dinosaur World that I keep meaning to go to seeing as my little one is obsessed with them.

PS I've tagged you over on my blog.

Captain Dumbass said...

My sister took her kids there a few years back and they loved it. Too bad it's so damn far away.

Mama Karen said...

Looks like they had fun. My kiddies love dino's!

Kristy said...

Oh, how fun! My son calls dinosaurs "Roars"!

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Princess Nagger would be in seventh heaven if she got to go there!! How FUN! :)