Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Goodnight 7 o'clock.

7 o'clock is like lottery-winning-time in my house. Every night, after dinner, after baths, after story time and teeth brushing, the magical hour rolls around and the boys go to bed. And as the clock strikes 7, we crack open a bottle of champagne and have a party. Or, in the real universe, we breath a deep sigh of relief, and begin the process of winding down for the evening.

It's like biting into a bar of chocolate after a month-long chocolate fast.

It's like the first few seconds as you slip into a hot bath.

It's like a glass of red wine after a really long day.

It's like being told... go ahead and take a few hours to yourself.

It's my magical, happy, sparkly hour.

And it was all good and fine and reliable, until about a week ago, when my preschooler did the unthinkable: ten minutes after we put him to bed, he got up, opened his door, wandered into the living room in his pajamas and told us, plainly, "I don't want to go to bed."

I thought it was pretty cute, at first. I let him sit beside me on the sofa, watching TV. Then we read a book. And another. Still, he wasn't ready for bed. And then 8 o'clock came around, and I realized my precious, sacred evening time was evaporating.

My precious...! (insert voice of goblin creature from Lord of the Rings)

And then, despite my attempts to convince him that actually, he really did want to go to bed, that bed was, in fact, a wonderful, cozy, brilliant place, he wouldn't go.

After the third night of this, I realized my 7 o'clock was a thing of the past. I sobbed, internally, and then sucked it up. Because, well, they grow up, I guess.

Goodbye, 7 o'clock, my love.

I will miss you.

p.s. 8 o'clock? You will never replace my 7.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

14 comments:

The Tompkins Family said...

I could cry for you! 7pm is our magical hour too. Some days I literally count down the minutes.

Elaine A. said...

We've always been 8 around here. ALL of my babies just 'chose' that time to go to sleep since infancy. Crazy, huh? Anyway, that's my current 'magic' hour. And the other day I was thinking about what we'll do when my oldest wants to stay up a little later because I know that's not too far off. Oy.

Loukia said...

I thought you were kidding with that 7 p.m. bedtime but you were serious! Lady! You are lucky! My boys are NOT early to bed sleepers! We're talking 9, 9:30 over here. Oh and yesterday, my 4 year old accidentally fell asleep for a late nap at 5, waking up at 6, thus staying awake until 12:30 no word of a lie. NO, really. It's happened numerous times, too. Anyway, don't worry. I guess my magic hour is 10? I'm a night own, though. I hope your magic hour is not lost! I'm here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on my friend!

RainSplats said...

Books!!

My toddlers "read" books in bed if they don't want to go to sleep yet. It keeps them quiet and lets me have my me-time.

If they're loud or get out of bed, I turn off the hallway light and close the door. They hate that! It creates HUGE fights...but the next day they remember to stay in bed and "read" so they can "stay up late" while keeping out of my lap ;)

good luck

Hot Cross Mum said...

Oh I hear you, I hear you! Our 2 and a half year old appeared at the living room door last night for the first time. I got his straight back up to bed to discover he'd been playing with his Mr Potato Head when I thought he'd been asleep already for 30 minutes. Roll on 8pm then ;)

Kristy said...

You were lucky while you had it! My boy is crazy. He goes to bed at 9:00! Then I go to bed too or else I would forever not have enough sleep (I love sleep). He wakes at 7:00 am. If he goes to bed at 8:00, he gets up at 6:00. Argh!

gringationcancun said...

I feel bad for my mom! I always hated bedtime. I don't remember putting up a fuss, but I always tried to get her to extend it til later. :)

Mwa said...

We just moved to the eight o'clock time-slot, so I know the pain. The excruciating pain. Also, do you find you just don't get to bed before eleven any more? We're lucky to get there by midnight. Just imagine the pain when they are teenagers! We'll be hiding in our bedrooms from them.

Tammy said...

Yes I love 7 pm here too.. because the start is at about 5:15-5:30 am.. :(

James (SeattleDad) said...

Yeah, even 8:00 is getting iffy around here. Especially with so much light out.

Enjoy it while you can!

Miz Dinah said...

Wait til your kids go to bed AFTER you. Kiss any magical you time goodbye. :)

LisaDay said...

Ekk! No. I like the magic hour of 7 p.m., too.

LisaDay

Angela said...

My kids, now 5 YO and 8 YO, have always been "bath at 7 PM, lights out and alone by 8 PM". But recently, my 8 YO has just not been tired. Luckily, he's discovered the joys of reading alone, so he snuggles in his bed with his nightlight and reads Harry Potters or Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Beatrix Potter (or whatever else I can get him hooked on!) until he falls asleep. My kids are always up by 6 AM too.

I think you'll keep your 8 PM routine for a while, especially since he was so good with the early 7 PM bedtime for a couple of years.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I can so relate to this post my dear! Our special 7:00 hour is slowly creeping closer to 8:00 these days as well! AGH!