Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'd have to be energetic, gutsy and a little insane to consider it...

I have to make a decision.

Six months ago I started a course in massage therapy. To be completely honest, at the time, I wasn't sure whether I was going to adore it. I just had a good feeling about it, and I knew I wanted to do something involving alternative therapies and helping people directly.

I signed up, paid my fee and turned up to class wearing entirely the wrong outfit for a therapist.

But, I'm a screw-it-I've-made-my-mind-up-and-I'm-going-to-do-this-thing-dammit kind of person, and so I threw myself into it.

Thankfully, I've loved every minute of it. So much so, that I'm kicking myself in the shin (not too hard, those muscles need protecting) for not doing this ten years ago.

And, while I've enjoyed being in education again, it's been a ten-ton-elephant load of work. Which would be fine if I was 21, with no kids and no where else to be and nothing to worry about. But, as other student-parents will attest, it takes a slightly crazy person with a lot of energy to parent small kids while studying and working at the same time.

I have two months to go, and then I'm finished.

Whoo!

Except, maybe not.

Because now I'm considering doing the second year...

To explain:

First year teaches the basics (anatomy, physiology, pathology), and how to do relaxation (Swedish) massage.

Second year teaches therapeutic massage. Which means I'd be able to treat patients with sports injuries, motor vehicle injures and certain medical conditions. I'd be able to work with physicians, chiropractors and physiotherapists. I could even teach massage therapy.

In other words, with the second year I'd be fully qualified and able to do the more interesting work.

But...

(Here begin the whiny excuses.)

But if I do the second year, I'll have A WHOLE OTHER YEAR of school, homework, exams, practicum... The thought of it is making me sweat.

But if I don't do the second year now, I might never get around to it, and might never get those important qualifications to do the interesting stuff...

But if I do second year now, I won't be finished until July 2011...

But if I don't do second year there's a chance I might kick myself really hard in the shin...

But...

But...

.............

???

Halp?

Excuse me now while I go dip my head in a bowl of icy water to alleviate the pangs of stress.

I need some encouragement here folks.




Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

18 comments:

Loukia said...

Do the second year. You will have tons more job opportunties when all is said and done, and you'll make it work, you will. You have done well this year, and although it's been tough at times, you did it. Only one year - you can do it! Yes, you can! Good Luck!

The Tompkins Family said...

I say go for it! If you don't do it now, there will always be a million excuses why you don't get back to it. Just get it over with and then you'll never have to say, "I should've..." or "I wish I'd...".

Jules said...

Not that I can tell you what to do, but I think you should go for it. Someday you might kick yourself if you don't. You made it this far you can do it again.

Gringation Cancun said...

I think you should only do it if you feel passionate about therapy and sports medicine. If it doesn't excite you, don't waste your time.

If so, just do it!!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I'm with everyone else. Do it now. Honestly - if there is ever going to be a best time it's when you are a professional multi-tasking, sleep deprived mother of two small children who has very low expectations for quality of life. ha!

FIONA said...

I agree. DO IT~!

Come August 2011 you will forget how hard it was and just see how glad you are that you took the leap :)

EVILFLU said...

I think you should go for it! You may regret it if you don't even give it a try. The year will just fly by if this is something you enjoy doing. Best of luck :)

Lisa said...

1) I think you should totally do the second year!
2) Way to go! I can't imagine going to school while parenting. I can barely dress myself or write more than one blog post a week with my kids hounding me!
3) I think I should fly out there and you can practice on me. :)

..... Carmen said...

DO it! Short term sacrifice for long term gain. You'll never regret it. My Mom went back to school when my younger brother was 13 (different than small kids I know) but my brothers and I have alot of memories of my Mom studying. And you know what? My view on it looking back, wasn't that we missed out on having more time with my Mom, but that she taught us perseverance and that anything can be done when you put hard work into it. Your boys will be proud of you! (all 3 of them) and you'll be proud of you too :)

Lady Mama said...

Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging words - it really means a lot to me!

Snaffles Mummy said...

I think you should go for it while you are in the studying mode. If you stop now and start working then you will not have the time or commitment to "go back to school".

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mwa said...

If you say it lead to "the interesting stuff" and you need some encouragement, you KNOW you should go for it. You can do it! And you should. This is what you obviously want to do. Why get half-way there?

James (SeattleDad) said...

I say do it and be done with it. It's only one year. Hell one year goes by in the blink of an eye any more. Then you will be able to enjoy the rest of your career.

LisaDay said...

Do that second year. You are right, if you leave it now you'll never do it again.

LisaDay

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I so go for it! Absolutely do the 2nd year. I agree that you will regret it if you don't go for it now!

Christine said...

But if you DON'T do the second year, you won't get the opportunity to feel like you have about the first year. And you only live once, and a year, though hard, goes fast. You can do it!!

If I Could Escape . . . said...

I say think of the end result and do it!!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

DO IT!!! It will fly by - and you've come this far, why stop now?