Monday, September 27, 2010

Bringing home (a small slice of) the bacon.


Last week I picked up my first real pay cheque in years. It wasn't much, but that didn't matter. For the first time, in a long time, I felt the lightness of earning my own money again.

I won't lie - I did a happy dance for a minute or two.

Having a regular pay cheque (as opposed to the unpredictable salary of a writer) is such a good feeling, after not having had one for so long.

Out of university, J and I worked full time straight away. Financial freedom was as natural as eating breakfast. We could take holidays, purchase things for our home, clothes, dinners out - all at the drop of a hat.

I look back and wonder WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING? I should have put more money away. Or gone on more holidays. I can't decide.

And then I went on maternity leave.

I'm incredibly lucky to have not had to work these past few years, I realize. And there's never been an issue with us sharing a single salary (not that I spend much).


But there's a lot to be said about the satisfaction of earning one's own money - even if it's not quite what it used to be.


Letting go of my financial freedom has been difficult being a control freak. Even though  J is incredibly supportive and generous, I like my independence. I like contributing. I like to buy things without the  (completely unnecessary) guilt of spending someone else's money.


The best thing of all is, I like what I do to earn the money.


Life is good.




***Watch out for a giveaway coming up on Lady Mama at the end of this week. 
If you have a baby, and you like good design, you'll want one. Trust me.***

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Loukia said...

That is awesome - good for you! It certainly is a great feeling. :) You should be happy and proud and splurge a little! I on the other hand need to desperately learn how to start saving... sigh.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I'm in the same boat as Loukia.... I need to save more and spend less. Especially since I am no longer working and I do feel guilty when I spend it!!

Mammatalk said...

I can totally, totally relate to this post. I jump up and down when I make a few of my own bucks, too. And, why didn't I save more before kids??

Midwest Mommy said...

We were the same way before kids. Sometimes I think, good grief what did we do with all that money and other times I think man we definitely should have went to Hawaii or Paris like we always wanted too. Oh well, it was fun and now this chapter of our lives is fun too just a little bit cheaper, lol.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Congratulations. That must feel terrific.

Miz Dinah said...

Congrats! I'm a big fan of bacon. Also dough, bread, cheddar, lettuce....Mmm! It's like a money sandwich. Tastes so good, gone too quickly.

Perfectly Happy Mum said...

That's great news! And I so understand. Not so long ago I was thinking of how much money we had to spend when we were both working having a salary each and I was wondering how the hell we didn't manage to save more than we did? But that was fun and I miss buying lots of pairs of shoes and bags and watches and... oh well...

Mwa said...

Congratulations! I love that feeling, too. And will get it again, one day. Well done you!