Sunday, October 10, 2010

I give in. I'm Australian.


G'day mate! I've been sitting here all arvo with me shrimp on the barbie and me tinnie beside me. Crikey, I've eaten so much chook this weekend, I'm totally bushwacked. It was bonza! With all these leftovers, reckon I'll be eating chook sangies for the rest of the month cobber! *

What do you think of my new accent? I'll be talking like this from now on, because I'm Australian. Apparently. All this time I thought I was English and as it turns out, I might be wrong. I mean, if, like four people tell you you're from the Land Down Under, then surely, there's a chance you might be, right?

These are the conversations - all from the past week, that have led me to this conclusion.

Convo # 1
Client at work: Which part of Australia are you from?
Me: Oh, I'm not from Australia! I'm from England. (chuckling)
Client: Really?
Me: Yes! It's okay, I get that a lot. I'm definitely from England!

Convo # 2
Client 2: You're from Australia, I take it?
Me: Um, no, I'm not.
Client: Oh!
Me: No. Other side of the world, actually. England.

Convo # 3
Store Assistant: You sound like you're from Australia?
Me: Ahaha! I'm not! I'm English, but I've been living in Canada for five years, and apparently I've developed some strange twang that makes me sound Australian.
Client #3: Oh! That's funny! You really do sound Australian.
Me: Hahahahahaha. Ha. Nope.

Convo # 4
Man at gas station: Which part of Australia are you from?
Me: London.
Man: Oh? Um. Is there a London in Australia?
Me: Nope. There's a London in England. (frowning)
Man: Ohhh.....


I'm renaming my blog Lady Sheila.


And also, I need a t-shirt with this on it.













* I really like Australians! I'm just not one of them!
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Or if Lady Sheila is taken, perhaps 'Lady Barbie'?

G'day.

mitch1066 said...

Its ok i get the same thing.Ive been in Canada 23 years lol.To canadians i sound Australian,to my mother i sound American apparently.

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

It has to be the Canadian spin on the accent. I still sound Southern as can be to me (from South Carolina) but after living in Canada for the past 8 years, I CONSTANTLY get asked if I am from Australia. I sound nothing like Olivia Newton John people... why are you asking me that!?!?!

Elaine A. said...

For the record, I TOTALLY thought you sounded Australian too.

OH wait...

;P

fiona2107 said...

Oh, this has made me laugh so much :D
I AM Australian and I don't even know what a shrimp or a cobber is!
I think it's hilarious how the media portrays us!
None of us actually talk like Olivia Newton-John, Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee! Lol :)

I have a friend with a British husband (from London actually!) and he has got this funny accent that not British OR Australian. It's an odd mix of several different accents!

Maybe yours is a mixture accent like his. I bet it sounds great though however you sound. :)

Lady Mama said...

fiona2107 - Haha! Actually it's not the media, it's my google searches for "common Australian sayings" that brought up those terms! :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Oh, that is cute! I wonder if this is better or worse than having people know you are a Minnesotan? I mean, look what the movie Fargo did to us...

Midwest Mommy said...

I have been told I have one of the ugly accents. Who says that to someone, lol!