Monday, October 25, 2010

Movie Houses


Lately, I've taken to yelling "MOVIE HOUSE!!" in the middle of the film we're watching. They're easy to spot - movie houses - they're the ones that are styled to death and decorated to within an inch of their lives, and are usually found in the romantic comedy genre.

The truth is, I love movie houses. I picture myself living in one, the kind with William Morris wallpaper and paneling in the dining room and a reading nook with custom-sewn cushions. And it's a much more sophisticated, calm, collected me - the me that lives in the movie house. I float around in a silk dressing gown with a mug of chai tea, contemplating all the wonderful ways my movie house makes everything better.

Alas, I don't have a billion dollars and a stylist. See my dilemma?

My favourite movie house is the Hamptons beach house in Something's Gotta Give. Have you seen it? Don't bother with the movie, it's - meh. Just fast forward to the scenes of the house interior, because it is dreamy. Apparently the exterior is a real house, but the interior was built on a set. (Yes, I looked that up.) And I have a thing for white walls and cabinets.


Then there are the apartments in the Sex in The City movie (the first one): Carrie's apartment after the renovation (I'm trying to persuade J to let me paint our living room a similar blue); Big's apartment; The penthouse dream pad; And don't even get me started on Charlotte's swanky flat.

I loved the ranch-style house in Meryl Streep's movie, It's Complicated (and I really liked the movie too, actually). Everything about the house is, well, I want it. Especially the rustic kitchen.


And finally, slightly random, but, the movie Must Love Dogs. I have to say, I absolutely love the house in this movie. There are so many pretty colours and textures. It's just cozy.


What about you? What's your favourite movie house?

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You are so right. The perfectly placed everything, and even when it is a mess, it still looks great? Where are the footprints on the walls from the seven year old trying to climb them? I need a movie house too.

Elaine A. said...

It's SO funny that you said the one from Something's Got to Give because I LOVE that house!!!

I also like the finished product in Under the Tuscan Sun and that's all I can think of right now... :)

fiona2107 said...

Oh, Yes,yes, yes and YES!!!!

How do they stay that clean?

Oh, they don't have 3 kids and a sloppy husband living there! Aha!


.....I added a link to your blog in my latest post because I find your blog one of the funniest I read......sorry....i forgot to ask first Eeek!

Mwa said...

You're so right. I hate the way in movies everything is so tidy, making me feel woefully inadequate.

I couldn't help thinking of the house in "Father of the Bride," that old Steve Martin movie. That definitely has a movie house.

Midwest Mommy said...

I dream of owning a movie house. Even the desperate housewives houses I love.

LisaDay said...

I love every house found in Victoria magazine. It took me a long time to realize this is my fairy tale – wonderful, ideal but I would never actually be able to achieve it.

You might want to look at this blog today: http://home-shabby-home.blogspot.com/2010/10/touch-of-whiteand-warm-welcome.html

LisaDay

BellaMama said...

Oh, I want a movie house too, so clean, so tidy and so beautifully styled *sigh*

Oh... Something's Gotta Give, I remember that gorgeous white kitchen being the best thing in the whole film.

How about the lovely English country cottage in "The Holiday"? Or the super swanky LA pad that Cameron Diaz lived in. Oh, I want to move into that film!!

http://hookedonhouses.net/2008/12/11/the-holiday-a-tale-of-two-houses/

Loukia said...

I want a movie house TOOOOOOO. The clutter that is my house now, though! The toys! The MESS my boys make! I turn my back and it's soooo messy again - two seconds after I clean it! So very annoying.