Saturday, October 30, 2010

The scariest Halloween House I ever saw.

There were shrieks of delight as I pulled the Halloween Gingerbread House box off the shelf at Safeway and delicately placed it into the cart, where my sons were perched.

"Look at all those candies!"

"Can we eat those now?"

"I'm gonna eat all the orange ones and all the black ones."

"And then I'm gonna eat the whole house."

On the drive home I daydreamed that I was secretly a crafty genius and that my Halloween House would dazzle everyone that saw it.

"Wow - did you make that? That is so impressive! You should be, like, a cake decorator or something!"

And anyway, it was a kit, how hard could it be?

Alas.

This, friends, is what the Halloween House should look like.



This is my Halloween House.



They lied.

That is the only theory I can come up with. They had a professional craftsman glue the gingerbread house together with industrial strength super glue, a cake decorator apply the icing, and a designer remove all remaining flaws in Photoshop.

Because obviously it has nothing to do with my poor craftsmanship and lack of patience.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

JC Little said...

Yours looks waaaaaaay better!!!

Merry said...

Looks great to me. I tried to put together a foam halloween craft with my 3 yr old. It fell apart 3 times and both of us were covered with glue and glitter at the end. It doesn't look like the picture either. Those picture are the fantasy we wish we could achieve.

Mammatalk said...

Ahhh...I think it looks fantastic! So, how did it taste?

fiona2107 said...

hehehe!
It looks better than any attempt I would have made!
ANd you're a great Mummy for trying!

Midwest Mommy said...

We did one of these either last year or the year before. I am surprised I wasn't put on blood pressure medicine afterwards. Nuff said.

Naomi said...

I think you did a great job. No bit of baking loks like it does on the packet - bet it tasted lovely too!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

I think it looks pretty good! And more importantly, I bet the kids were thrilled. We buy these sets at Christmas and I leave it to the husband to deal with - I hate doing it!!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Yours looks good. Decent job. Now if I tried to do one, it would make for a great comparison. You would then see what a disaster one could be. That is why I stick to eating the sweets.

BellaMama said...

Yours looks ace!! Love it!

If anyone produced a cake which looked as perfect as the one on the packet, they clearly have far far too much time on their hands!

think i'd have been off for a celebratory gin and tonic after attempting to ice that roof!

Loukia said...

Well if it makes you feel any better, it's way nicer than mine would have looked! I don't even bother with the Christmas gingerbread houses anymore, I suck at anything this 'crafty'!

Elaine A. said...

It's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Yours, that is... ;)