Sunday, October 17, 2010

The World's Gone Mad. Me Included.


Nanny Number Nine quit. Well, not exactly "quit". She half quit. She can no longer babysit on one of the days I go to work. Which means, me = on a steaming pile of manure. And also, me = faced with the teeth-grinding process of finding someone else. The conversation went like this. NNN: "Oh, by the way, I'm not going to be able to do Wednesdays any more, starting next week." Me: "Are you f&cking kidding me?" Actual Me: "Oh no. That's too bad."

*

I'm doing fantastically well in my new job. First I basically denied having a password for the computer system, only to find that, in fact, I did have one, that I myself had created, and then forgot about. Then, my crowning moment: one night last week, after my last client had gone, I turned off the lights, set the alarm and locked the door as usual. I walked to my car, chuffed as a puppy and proud of myself for being a working Mum. Two days later a colleague informed me that I was not the last one to leave that night, and that I had locked her, and her client, in the clinic, in the total darkness, with the alarm armed.

*

My littlest son has stopped napping. I repeat, STOPPED. Every day for the last month I have tried to fool myself into thinking it wasn't true, religiously placing him in his crib every day after lunch with his bottle. Surely he was just going through one of those nap-refusal phases, and would be over it soon. SOB. It was just wishful thinking. Nap time is dead and gone. Which means? NO ONE IN MY HOUSE NAPS ANY MORE.




Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

Tammy said...

Bwahahahahaha... omg Sarah I'm so sorry to laugh but the part about leaving and locking in your coworker I just couldn't help it!! lol... Hope this week is better and that you find a great nanny!!!

Lady Mama said...

Laugh away! After I got over the HUGE embarrassment, I had a good laugh about it myself.

The Tompkins Family said...

Oh the coworker thing is PRICELESS!! I'm sure no one at work will ever let you forget that one! It reminds me of a friend of ours...passed out in the back of a bar one night, woke up after closing and tried to leave but set off the alarm and the cops came thinking he was trying to break in when really he was trying to break out! :)

So, so, so sorry to hear about naps being over. Do they still do a quiet time so you can have a recharger?

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

The coworker thing? Oh well! it gives her and the client a good laugh when they are all rescued, right? Let's hope so anyway!

Mammatalk said...

We're struggling with the end of naps, too. I'm fighting it tooth and nail!
Did you really do that to your coworker??

Elaine A. said...

Sorry about the naps. Total Bummer.

And I guess TEN is really your luck number in the Nanny department then? ;)

naomi said...

I hope you have a better week. You have made me chuckle which is just what I needed when my day started at 5am.

fiona2107 said...

You gave me a wonderful giggle about locking your co-worker in!

And I hope you can work out your nsnny problems!!

Maybe a new nanny who will convince the boys that nap-time is STILL a great thing? LOL!

Hot Cross Mum said...

Is it very wrong that I laughed a bit just now - sorry, but that image is very funny! No sleep is the worst form of torture so I completely sympathise. :(

Lady Mama said...

Hot Cross Mum - No it's not wrong! What's the point of these experiences if you can't laugh at them after the fact?

Mwa said...

Priceless - locking in your colleague.

About naptime. That is terrible. Naptime is like a little bit of heaven every day. I weep for you.

Miz Dinah said...

Aw crap! :) On the NNN, nap, and work front.