Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'd sell my left kidney for an extra thirty minutes of sleep.

I really love early mornings. Most days I wake up at 6:00 am, spring out of bed after a restful night and head straight down to the gym, where I work out for a solid hour. Then I take a yoga class and come home, all before my husband wakes up. By the time the kids are up, I've cleaned the house and baked a whole batch of delicious muffins for everyone.

La, la la, la la, la, la.

Mm hm, hm, hm. De da da da.

Um.

Uh.
 
No, you're right, doesn't sound like me at all.

I am not a morning person. As far as I'm concerned, early mornings can take a running leap into a firey pit of snakes and cockroaches and never bother me again. 

When it comes to sleep, I'm greedy. It's like that with anything if you've been deprived of it for long enough. First thing in the morning? I don't want to be disturbed. I don't want to talk. I don't want to sing or dance or do anything requiring energy. If I never woke up before 8:00 am ever again, I'd be okay with that.

Which is why I'll do pretty much anything to get few extra minutes of sleep in the morning.

This morning, as usual, my younger son woke up around 6:30 and, as usual, I gave him his milk and crawled back into bed and fell into a heavenly slumber. Then, not as usual, my older son woke up. It was 6:45 and I could hear him calling for me.

Reluctantly but instinctively, I went to him to see what was up.

"Mummy! .... The digger! .... My face! .... It hurt!"

I finally figured out he'd been lying close to a couple of toy trucks and diggers, and one of them must have accidentally poked him in the face.

I soothed my son, then helped him back into bed. Like me, Matthew is not one for early mornings. Normally. Except for this morning. 

"I'm not tired Mummy. I want to get up now."

Realizing I was dangerously close to having to actually get up and open my eyes and be awake and do things, I tried my best to intercept the inevitable. "Shhhhh, shhhhh, it's still the middle of the night." I assured him and climbed into his bed. And fell promptly asleep.

Five minutes later. One inch from my face. "Mommy. Can we get up now?"

"Nooooo." I whispered. "S'too early. Go to sleep."

"No!" He said, jumping up.

"Arrrghflp. Okay."

And before I could stop myself, I went and did what we promised we'd never do.

"You can come into our bed."

"Okay!"

And then we all slept blissfully forever after. Or, for another hour, anyway.

I just hope I haven't gone and started a new bad habit.

It was so worth it for the extra hour of sleep though.



Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Mwa said...

No! Take my kidney! It's tastier!
(I'm fighting you for the sleep.)

I breastfed lying down this morning, buying me maybe thirty extra minutes of half-slumber trying not to roll over onto my baby.

Oh yeah I know that feeling.

Jules said...

I feel the exact same way. Mornings are NOT my thing....

Nikosmommy said...

I despise mornings! By the grace of God I live in a family with other NON-morning people and my oldest is in an afternoon kindergarten class (so we aren't up early during the week). The earliest we ever have to wake up is about 8-8:30am. I bribe my youngest with milk too if he's ever up before 8:00 and tell him it's the "middle of the night" so he HAS to go back to bed! :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You described in perfect detail how I feel about mornings, those awful things. I feel the same when a kid wakes early! I need my sleep!

Loukia said...

Oh God, I was getting worried and all.. "WHO IS THIS GIRL?" when I was reading the first paragraph... okay... phew... we ARE very much alike! I HATE MORNINGS!!!!

..... Carmen said...

Ha! See, now that's EXACTLY why I do it! When Aidan wakes in the morning, and I want to go back to bed - he comes to ours and I nurse him here. When he's asleep and G wakes up - she comes back to my bed and reads books there. The light is on in both cases, but at least I'm lying down under warm covers :)

naomi said...

I loved this blog so thank you for sharing. I am a morning person but there are times when I want to hibernate. At the weekends we stay in bed and the kids play downstairs. It is great to just have the duvet to ourselves and not feel like we have to entertain. Hopefully when your children get older you will enjoy that luxury.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That first paragraph made me laugh. I was totally trying to do the math on it until I realized that you were just kidding.

My kids are in a terrible "crawl into bed with us" habit lately. I wouldn't mind since I secretly like it - but not ALL AT THE SAME TIME. We have three children and a queen size mattress. We don't all fit. I often wake up and find bodies lying on the carpet (after failing to wedge into the bed). It's like a flop house (not that I know exactly what a "flop house" is - but I have the basic idea).

I'm trying to get back to our old ways when kids stayed in their own beds all night. Unfortunately, it means that I often have to spend a lot of time *out* of my own bed. Just another elements to the daily chaos - nothing is sacred, not even my own bed.