Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Top Ten Christmas Books for Kids 2010.

Is it too early to talk about Christmas? Well if it is, I apologize. I'm already well into the spirit of things this year, with half my shopping done, lists made, food ideas swimming around my head, etc.

As usual, books are prominent on my Christmas shopping list - books for everyone. Here are a few of my favourite books about Christmas. I'll be doing another post on the kids' books I'll be giving as gifts for Christmas soon too.


Olive The Other Reindeer by J.otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh.
I bought this special edition of the 1997 classic a few years ago for my kids, and it's become a clear favourite at our house. It's a charming little story about a dog who thinks he's a reindeer. This edition is pop-up, and inside, the book is very pretty.



That's not my Santa... by Fiona Watt. 
I just bought this one for my kids, not because I love it, but because they do. We've read it over and over and over already... I think it's something about the touchy-feely fabrics inside.




How the Grinch Stole Christmas! By Dr. Seuss.
A classic tale of grinch hates Christmas, grinch tries to destroy Christmas, grinch discovers Christmas is not so bad after all. And the hard cover book has this amazing shiny red cover, and that's enough for me.



The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton.
A creepy tale of Christmas that's not even remotely suitable for my kids yet. Brilliant. 

The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by Emma Kragen.
Don't judge me, but I like this. It's like the twelve days of Christmas! But with dogs! Get it?!?!


The Snowman by Raymond Briggs.
Probably one of the only books with no words that I enjoy. A sweet tale about a boy who builds a snowman, sees it come to life and goes off with the him on a magical adventure.



A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M. Schultz.
This clothbound edition of the classic Charlie Brown story brings back memories. And it's just a really nice book.



Christmas Cookies by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.
Asweet (pun intended) book with pretty water colour illustrations, that uses the concept of baking cookies to teach kids the meaning of vocabulary such as "tradition" and "hope". 


It's Christmas, David by David Shannon.
This is new this year, about a naughty little boy who can't wait for Christmas and tries to sneak a peak at his presents and gets into all kinds of mischief.



The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore.
This book - this exact copy, is, to me, pure magic. I've been reading this (or having it read to me) for as long as I can remember on Christmas Eve. Now I'm making it a tradition for my kids. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it.


What about you? What are your favourite Christmas books?

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Brilliant post; so glad a I stumbled on it today as I'm looking for new books for Amy and some of your recommendations are just up her street.

CJ xx

Loukia said...

I love How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Great post! Thank you for the book recommendations!

Jennyre said...

You know what else I love? Lemony Snicket's The Lump of Coal. It's a brilliant book. So cute. It's one of the few books in our collection that I don't mind reading over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!
http://www.amazon.com/Lump-Coal-Lemony-Snicket/dp/0061574287

Lady Mama said...

You know what Jenny, I've never read that one. I've seen it so many times and picked it up in a bookstore. I'll definitely add that one to my list, thanks!

fiona2107 said...

Excellent!! I'm off to Amazon.com!!

Elaine A. said...

What a great list! Thanks for sharing these. I MUST get the dogs one for my oldest. He just LOVES dogs to much...

WhisperingWriter said...

Awesome books. We have a pile of them that I lug out in December.

We love The Polar Express over here.

Amanda said...

Just picked up the Christmas Cookies one up from the Bargain Kids' Books section at Chapters. Nice to idea to teach some important concepts. And I have The Snowman on video from the library - I'll let you know if it's any good.

Just picked up a few nice kids' books from Safeway - thanks for the earlier tip on that one.

I ordered some Christmas books from the Scholastic Book Club, can't wait for it to arrive. There's a Llama Llama one that I'm excited to read.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Love it. Time to start collecting Christmas titles.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Great list! There are only 2 on there I have never read! The rest? I totally agree with you!