Saturday, November 6, 2010

You'll never accidentally let your kids watch Jaws again.

Ever since I accidentally let my kids watch the movie Chicken Little without first investigating whether it was really suitable for them - which led to my son then yelling out for me to turn it off and me dropping my laundry and frantically looking for the off button because apparently it was about to traumatise him for life and cause years of counseling - I've become a bit more cautious about the movies I let them watch.

A few days ago we rented Toy Story 3, and before the boys even caught sight of the DVD case, J and I sat down and watched it one evening while they were in bed. And, can I just say, though this post isn't about reviewing the movie - it was FANTASTIC. Actually? Probably in my top 5 movies this year.

But.

There were a few sinister moments that led me to decide I definitely would not be letting the kids watch it this year. (The scene with the creepy doll (I'll have a side of nightmares please); and the scene at the end where all the toys are headed into the burning inferno).

Of course, I don't have time to vet every single movie my kids watch.

So, something I've been using lately is this web site Common Sense Media. They do reviews and make recommendations for age appropriate viewing. All you have to do is type in the name of the movie, and they give you all the info you need. Ain't the Interwebs a wonderful thing?


Just thought I'd share that with you.





 Have a nice weekend.


P.S. This post is not sponsored - just me sharing something with you that I found useful. I'm helpful like that.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

7 comments:

..... Carmen said...

I have to say, I watched Toy Story 3 with Grace the other day and she LOVED it. Mind you, she watches alot of the Disney movies and they all have a sinister twist. The only one recently that she and I both decided she not be watched, was Happy Feet.

Lady Mama said...

Really? J thinks the boys would actually be okay with the movie, I'm extra cautious, I think because I get easily affected by sinister movies so I worry about them. But, then, some parents would consider Ratatouille or Finding Nemo too mature but we've watched those.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Thanks! Elijah freaks at anything scary, so this is nice to have. We preview a lot of their stuff too, because you know? Disney villians can be scary!

James (SeattleDad) said...

We (read Mrs. LIAYF) found this site too.

Unfortunately, it leaves very few movies recommended for a 3yo.

Milo and Otis was a thrill a minute, I tell you.

Lady Mama said...

True. There are a bunch of movies we've watched that are rated too old for our kids (Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, Monsters), which we think are okay though.

Kids Watch said...

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your ideas to post comments.The content was really very interesting. I am really thankful to you for providing this unique information. Please keep sharing more and more information......

Mwa said...

Isn't it weird having to say you're not being sponsored? I always feel awkward, but then I also worry people might think I am.

Looks like a handy website. Especially with a very sensitive 6yr old around.