Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Awesome People and Ibuprofen.

Today is the kind of day that makes me thankful to be alive and healthy. It comes after seven agonizing days under the duvet, downing ibuprofen and various other cold meds at my bedside.


I'm not one to exaggerate but I nearly died. 


Okay not really, but this whammy of a virus really wiped the life out of me. And, as if not being able to do normal activities, enjoy Christmas, and even drink wine, wasn't bad enough, being ill gave rise to a new side: lady hypochondriac extraordinaire.

At various points over the last week I've conjured numerous diseases for myself, including strep throat, meningitis, mono, throat cancer, and other undesirable ailments. I'd wave a snotty tissue from behind my lap top and hoarsely whisper my fateful prediction to J, who would then shove another mug of honey and lemon in my direction and tell me go back to bed and hurry up and get better soon.


Thankfully J has been at home the entire time. As well, his step-mother was staying with us last week and was an enormous help with the kids, the cooking and housework. Heaven knows what I'd have done if it had been a regular week and I'd been here alone. Oh, right, yes, I do remember.



I have this suspicion. I suspect the body remembers all the times you've been bad to it: all the nights you haven't slept; all the healthy things you haven't eaten; all the glasses of wine and late nights; all the not resting; all the times you didn't give your body a chance to recover. And then one day, when you're not expecting it, it creeps up and taps you on the shoulder and... "oh hai, it's me, your body, and now that you have a few weeks to rest, guess what? It's pay back time asshole."

You know, like when you go on holiday and get sick - ever done that? It's your body, waiting, waiting, waiting for you to take a much-needed rest, and then, POW.



But anyway, despite all my incorrect diagnoses, I'm on the mend, today feeling about 90% better.

Which brings me to my point, that basically, I'm thankful.

I'm thankful for all the awesome people in my life. For my husband, who has been superstar husband / father over the past week. For my step-mother-in-law, who kept everything running smoothly while I was incapacitated. (This sounds like an award speech doesn't it?) For my in-laws, who took the boys sledding and fed them hot chocolate and watched movies for the day so that J and I could have a little peace and quiet. For my parents, though thousands of miles away, who offered me words of comfort and support over the phone. For wireless technology so that I could watch (and become hooked on) Mad Men from my bed.


And, most definitely, for ibuprofen.


So. How was your Christmas?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Nikosmommy said...

Sounds like you've made it through a brutal week! Glad you're on the mend!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I'm sorry to hear it lasted so long for you! Ick. Elijah had a bug for 3 days, and on Christmas Day, and it was rough! Now, go watch Mad Men and recover.

Sparkless said...

Sorry to hear you were so sick. At least is wasnt' the stomach bug that hit our house this Christmas. Now that really puts a damper on the celebrating. That plus us only having the one bathroom.

Mwa said...

I so agree with all you say there. And I'm glad you're on the mend.

Our Christmas has been alright. We went over to the UK to see the inlaws and are already back. My body is sending out many warning signs that I'm overdoing it as well. I just hope it doesn't give up just as Babes goes back to work.

Better get to bed I suppose...

Elaine A. said...

Why am I most upset that you missed out on the wine? Tell your body you'll be makin' up for that, K? ;-P

SO glad you're feeling a lot better!!

Lady Mama said...

Nikosmommy - Thanks!

Sara - That is rough, especially when it happens on Christmas.

Sparkless - Ugh. Stomach bugs are the worst.

Mwa - Take care of yourself (as my Mum says).

Elaine - I know! I am so making up for it soon.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Oh no! You poor thing! I was sick right before Christmas - but nothing like that. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Happy 2011!!

Loukia said...

Oh dear my friend... I am so sorry you were so sick! I'm hoping so far 2011 has been somewhat okay for you? Are you all better? I hope so! It sucks being sick over the holidays! My little one was sick, too and on antibiotics for an ear infection and now they both have new colds! Argh! Happy New Year. Here's to a (mostly) sick-free year. xo