Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One fine day, seven years ago.

Seven years ago today, I woke up in my parents' house and saw, out the corner of my eye, my dress - a great big shiny white vision of five kinds of fabric, hanging by the window. It was time to get married. I leapt out of bed like a six year old on Christmas morning and ran downstairs. My Mum had prepared my favourite breakfast, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on toast.

My hairdresser turned up at ten o'clock, and to her horror (and mine) I told her I didn't like my hair when she was finished. It was too fru-fru, curly, fancy, bouncy, bundled up on my head. She had to take it all apart and try to fix it. And really it was my fault because I should have done the trial-hair-run like everyone told me.



By midday my hair was sort of mended and I scurried around my parents' house wrestling with my enormous dress and getting ready.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was so nervous I could hardly breathe. That, and my dress was squeezing the air out of my lungs. But I took my Dad's arm, and breathed as we walked up the aisle to J who was waiting there for me.


After we'd said our vows, we slipped away from the party for a few moments and took a drive around the Suffolk countryside. It was cold and crisp and a frost hung in the air and on the ground. It was one of my favourite parts of the day.



It went by fast, that day. We chatted with friends and family, posed for thousands photos, ate dinner and pudding and cake and drank and danced into the evening.

And as everyone left to go home, we retreated to our suite to open presents by the fire and finish our champagne.

It was one of those days I wish I could revisit for just a second, to take in some of that magic again. So many great moments, so many laughs, so much love.

It was a fine day, and it was a sign of things to come.



Happy Anniversary sweetie.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Awwww, that was loverly! Happy anniversary! x

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Wonderful! Happy Anniversary! (and your hair did turn out nice, so that is good)

Mwa said...

You look so cute together! Happy Anniversary!

Elaine A. said...

Oooh, you're such a gorgeous bride! So glad to see that someone else had a big bow on their backside like me! ;) Happy Anniversary to a lovely couple!!

ModernMom said...

Oh how wonderful! I love how you re-told your story with us. Happy Anniversary to you:)

Loukia said...

Happy Anniversary to you! You were a really really beautiful bride! Thanks for sharing your special story with us. xoxo

Lady Mama said...

Thanks guys!

Elaine - the funny thing is, when I went to pick out my dress, I was all "I want something straight and simple and nothing fancy." and then threw myself at the huge dress with the bow on the back. I seriously loved it.

Metropolitan Mum said...

Awww! Happy wedding anniversary!
PS: Your hair looked great in the ned, just in case you still worry.

Midwest Mommy said...

Happy Anniversary!

WhisperingWriter said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Great pictures by the way.

James (SeattleDad) said...

Happy Anniversary!

LisaDay said...

Happy Anniversary, belated. Sounds like it was a great day.

LisaDay