Friday, December 10, 2010

Suburban mum spotted in trendy urban store buying sparkly reindeer brooch.

I walked into Urban Outfitters, hoping to find a secret santa gift for a party I'm going to in a week's time.

"Hallo!" Yelled a young guy ("young guy") up a ladder.

"Hi." I said, pretending I didn't just jump a little.

It was 8:45 pm and the store was packed with droves of moody looking twenty-something shoppers browsing party clothes and expensive jeans. I wandered over to the toys. There were head massagers and pink Buddha statues and sock monkey wine warmers and Lego key chains and test tube shot glasses and indoor alien lights.

I picked up three different items and wandered around and around and around like a customer in a restaurant with too many choices on the menu. I couldn't decide on anything, and my winter coat was suffocating me and it was almost closing time.

Unable to choose, I put everything back and began to walk out of the store. On the way, I passed a cute little dress with a ruffled skirt, a row of graphic print t-shirts and a rack of scarfs. But I wasn't in the mood for clothes. I carried on toward the door.

There was nothing in this store for me tonight.

Although - wait! What was that? (I know how to create a suspenseful moment oh yes) On a stand in the corner of the store, was a small tray of ....... wait for it ....... CHRISTMAS BROOCHES. You know, those ones little old ladies wear on their cardigans, with little gems and sparkly lights? Yes. Those.

So drawn to them, was I, that I actually picked up a few, stroked them lovingly, and began the mental process of convincing myself I NEEDED a Christmas pin. They were kind of tacky in a fun, kitsch Christmas way - at least that's what I told myself. In the end I didn't buy one. But it was close.

* Who thinks I should go back and get it? * :-)


The truth is, what it comes down to, is this: I'm a suburban Mum who used to shop in Urban Outfitters but now prefers sparkly Christmas pins, and will soon own a whole collection that I'll store away each year in a special box specifically for holiday brooches, and I'll wear sweaters with snow flakes and reindeers (I already have my eye one - don't judge me), and cookie jars and poinsettias.

It's happening.

HALPS ME!
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Embrace it! This post was funny! Love it, and I can so relate. I'm sure you'll come across many other broaches you can buy.

naomi said...

Its not for you right? Well if you think they will like it - buy it. I am not a brooch person but others are.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Are you sure you aren't a teacher under all that? In fact? I have a nice collection of christmas brooches given to me by students I can send your way!

WhisperingWriter said...

But it's a pretty Christmas brooche at least.

I haven't gotten into the brooche thing yet. But I did get a Christmas shirt that says "I'm on the naughty list."

Mwa said...

Why not? If it makes you happy???

I sing Sinterklaas songs with gusto all of November, and really go for that. Because I can, and because I want to. So there!

Loukia said...

Oh my gosh... hilarious! You didn't buy it, though? So maybe there is hope for you yet? Just kidding... sigh. We are getting... older. I used to buy the funniest/coolest stuff from that store when I lived in D.C. and now... I rarely even shop there. :(

Elaine A. said...

I say "NO" to the sweaters but I like the pin! :)