Monday, January 3, 2011

Inching into 2011 like a snail on crutches.

These past few weeks - though full of illness, early nights, coughing and sneezing, a hundred box of tissues and general sickness all around the house - have been nice in a strange way. There's something cathartic about a period of laziness, where idleness and indulgence are allowed and even justified. And after a year of running on coffee and adrenaline and generally using more energy than I have, it's been quietly satisfying to lie around in pajamas, watch movies and eat high-calorie snacks without leaving the house for days on end.

Not so much the few extra pounds I've gained doing so.... Ahem.

And now it's January 3rd and 2011 is in full swing, and I'm not nearly ready for the action to begin again. I feel like an animal who's been in a cave for six months, about to be leave hibernation and confront the world for the first time. I'm waiting for something to kick me into action. Tomorrow my son goes back to school, and the next day I'm working, so I suppose life will kick my behind into gear whether I'm ready for it or not.

One of the best things about bumming around at home has been the time we've spent with the boys. Unhurried, undisturbed time that has let us take in the moments and watch how they change from one day to the next.

Oliver, our youngest, is talking lots, making sentences that surprise us with their clarity: "I can't reach it." or "I want to see DVD." Every morning, he goes straight to his brother's room and taps on the door, calling "An! An!! Annie!" This, apparently, is his brother's new name.

I've been glad of our sons' close age gap these past few weeks - their company, and their ability to keep each other entertained, has been so appreciated. They race around the house, roaring into each other's faces, hiding behind curtains in joint conspiracy, whispering secrets and getting into all kinds of trouble. Occasionally fists or teeth or feet are used to communicate with each other. And it usually ends in giggles or tears, but either way, they've become friends.

And with all the lounging around and waving aside responsibilities and duties as though they didn't exist, I'd given hardly a thought to New Year's resolutions, or what mine might be. Until a few days ago, when I scrambled together a last-minute list in my head. 

My list includes an array of promises such as getting back into running, eating more healthily, clearing outstanding debts, spending less time online (especially Face(waste-of-bloody-time)book) and more with family, continuing with my massage therapy studies, reading more books, being a more patient person, giving back more, and about another twenty things I can't even remember any more. Oh yes, and being more, um, focused about my goals.

Emerging from this sick spell I feel optimistic and energetic about this coming year. I'm like Julie Andrews skipping down the road to the Von Trapp house for the first time, singing "I have confidence in sunshine... I have confidence in rain..." (if you don't like / haven't seen The Sound of Music, I'm sorry but we can no longer be friends.).

Happy New Year everyone. Hope yours is a fantastic one.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

12 comments:

Loukia said...

I'm lying in bed with my boys right now totally depressed that I'm going back to work tomorrow. I'm not ready! I had a lot of fun just lying around, eating, and spending time with my boys. It was lovely and necessary, and I do not want it to end. But, back to the grind tomorrow, sigh.

Lady Mama said...

It's a sucky, sucky feeling, Loukia. The only thing to do is look ahead to the next vacation and think of how great it's going to be!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Back to the grind is right! It is a hard letdown after the holidays. Resolutions keep us going.

Blondie said...

I'm right there with you honey. The only thing that keeps me going at this point is trying to get back into shape for my hot upcoming summer dates! LOL. Kori xoxo

Elaine A. said...

Phew! We can totally be friends because I've seen The Sound of Music about eleven billion times (my Mom's FAVORITEST move EVER!).

I'm glad you've had some good chill time amongst the sickness. Happy New Year to you friend!!

blueviolet said...

I've never felt better than when I eliminated debt! You can do it!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Happy New Year to you too! Being more focused on your goals sounds like a good one, I might borrow that. xx

Mwa said...

And Happy New Year to you!

You are right - life will kick you back into action, and may you enjoy every minute of it!

ModernMom said...

Sorry to hear you've all been down and out but it is a good excuse to squeak in some extra cuddles!
Happy New Year to you!

James (SeattleDad) said...

Happy New Year. I had my first day at home sick with Lukas at school in forever yesterday. Didn't know what to do with myself. I organized my closet.

Glad you are feeling better.

LisaDay said...

Whew. We can still be friends. I love that movie. I have the soundtrack on tape if you would like to borrow it.

Your holidays sound fantastic. Happy New Year to you and your family.

LisaDay

WhisperingWriter said...

I always say I'm going to spend less time online.

It never goes well.