Sunday, January 9, 2011

Spring cleaning in January.

Ouch ouch ouch... oh God what is that.... what is that burning in my eyeball? What is it? Is my head exploding? Why do I feel like the room is spinning? Did something just erupt?

Oh, wait.

No. No. It was just my babysitter telling me she's moving to another city at the end of the month.

My response: "Oh great, good for you. We'll be sorry to lose you!" All cheery and accepting.

I could lie on the floor and wail like a baby, or I could treat this as an opportunity to find a great, new babysitter.

So I wailed.

But then I picked myself up because obviously I am a grown woman who deals with problems responsibly and maturely. Obviously.

I like January. It's a cliché but it is a time for fresh starts! It is it is! Over-zealous promises and crazy ideas that might never come into fruition but look good on paper. I have a dozen brewing quietly in my head: I want to finally write down and publish (if only for my kids) a story my father told me for years as a child; I want to run some super duper exciting giveaways on this blog; I want to finally assemble that wedding album that's been waiting for seven years; I want to go away for the weekend with J - just the two of us - for the first time since we became parents.


January can be overwhelming, especially with the addition of unexpected obstacles like finding new childcare. Add onto that, the cold, and the distance to the next foreseeable vacation, and suddenly it seems a far nicer idea to slip under a duvet with a box of chocolates and hide there for a few days.

I suppose that's why making plans and inventing projects is such a therapeutic way to start the year. It's a spring cleaning of sorts, thankfully not the dusting and vacuuming kind.


What kinds of spring cleaning do you have planned for the next few months?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I feel the same as you. I need a vacation- sans kids- STAT.

LisaDay said...

That sucks about the babysitter. Good luck getting a new one.

I am looking to an upcoming mini vacation myself.

LisaDay

Mwa said...

Oh no!!! That's just awful. You should ask your babysitter if she knows someone she can recommend. I keep being scared ours is getting too old for it and she'll leave us. (She's in her twenties now with a job and a boyfriend she's moving in with.)

I am spring cleaning the house - slowly, carefully, but at least something's happening although right now it's one of these "worse before it gets better" situations - and I want to spring clean some baby fat off my midsection, bum and thighs. Also I could get rid of some emotional baggage.

Helen@Leather baby shoes said...

It's not spring cleaning as such but the garden looks a complete mess. Full of leaves and plants/shrubs that broke under the weight of 2ft of snow. I desperately need to get out there but, its too cold and wet at the moment. I almost hope it snows again, at least it looks tidy!

Angela said...

We just found out our second car, a convertible, only 5 YO and not worth more than $10K, needs $2,000+ worth of work (something about a leaking head gasket...?!). And it only has 40,000 km on it. :(

So, do we buy a new car? It's gotta be a convertible. Trade in or sell this car? Find a new mechanic, get a second opinion? Fix it and drive it to it's death? How can we re-jig our budget to allow for a $400+ monthly car payment - shift our work hours and cancel the kids out-of-school care? Stop eating? Turn the kids too-short pants into capris (heck, it'll be spring soon, right?) Take no vacations for the next 5 years?

SIGH. I didn't WANT to be hassled with such decisions. I just want to pay off our Christmas bills. :(

Elaine A. said...

I'm currently making my life more hectic by taking on new projects such as sewing. But I did clean out my closet a little. Does that count? ;0

James (SeattleDad) said...

Ouch! That sucks. Good luck finding somebody new.

I just took 3 garbage bags of clothes I don't wear to the thrift store. Now, I only have what I will wear. Feels better.

naomi said...

I have spring cleaned my time. I have created more time for me by focussing on what really matters and what doesn't.

Metropolitan Mum said...

How bloody awful!!
Our wedding album will have to wait another few years. I am so lacking energy, I can't even bring myself to make resolutions.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I love it! I love your blog! I am new- literally just clicked on your name from another blog where you left a comment and now I have a new fav. Your hilarious! I would be pitching a fit if our babysitter left to. I mean, that is like your life leaving- your life of sanity that is! I don;t have alot of resolutions except for my recipe challenge. Following you now girl and hope you have a great week. hey- we can kidnap the babysitter and hold her hostage if you wanna? LOL!

XO
Jessica
www.kitchenbelleicious.com