Sunday, February 27, 2011

Completely unrelated things that happened at the grocery store. Alternatively titled "The Most Expensive Cucumber in the World."

I had planned to write a very serious post about parenting issues (don't worry it's coming! I know you're worried. Don't worry. Really.) and instead got distracted by things that happened at the grocery store on two separate occasions this weekend.

Thing 1:

I was standing in line at a certain organic grocery store in the city. The woman ahead of me had placed her items on the conveyor belt, and the teller had stopped to tell her something.

"Just so you know, those cucumbers cost $7.99 each." She said.

I laughed out loud. I may have snorted a bit too, I'm not sure.

"Why are they so expensive?" The customer asked, aghast.

"Um... I dunno..." The teller replied, helpfully. "They're from Mexico, and they have this special coating..."

Uh. What?

"Bargain!" I blurted. "They've traveled thousands of miles and they have a special coating!!"

The customer nodded at me with a sort of smile, probably hoping I would shut up now. She quietly asked the teller to please remove one of her cucumbers.

I was still laughing when I left the store.

I should probably learn to keep my opinions to myself.


Thing 2:

A day later at another, not-very-organic store, I was grocery shopping again. On my way to get an insanely inexpensive cucumber, I wandered into the clothes section. Sidetracked, I wandered off to look at a sweater, then accidentally returned to the wrong cart and proceeded to walk half way across the store with it.

It wasn't until I went to throw a block of cheese in the cart a few minutes later, that I noticed nothing in the cart belonged to me.

Cue inward screaming. 

My purse was on the other cart, and my groceries, and my hat and gloves.

I ran up and down aisles like a mother in one of those movies who's lost her child. Back in the clothes section, I spotted my cart. Beside it was a rather bewildered looking man who saw me approaching. I pointed him in the direction of his cart (hopefully), and quietly went on with my shopping.



How was your weekend?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Kristy said...

Yay, grocery store adventures! I wish my trips this weekend could have been so exciting.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

oh - I so relate to the mistaken shopping cart incident. But leaving your purse in the cart!? Where do you live? Mayberry?

..... Carmen said...

Ha! I love that you took someone else's cart - lol.

Mwa said...

I suppose you should be happy you got your purse back. And that you hadn't left a child in the cart. Now that would be serious cause for panic on your part, and bewilderment on the part of that man. "Wait a minute, I'm sure I didn't have a kid five minutes ago."

I love the cucumber picture at the end.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

YES! The coating should have cost EXTRA on top of the 7.99!

WhisperingWriter said...

Ha, love your comment.

But that's one reason why I don't do Organic: no way would I pay $8 for a cucumber.

Elaine A. said...

I'm LOLing SO hard right now that you took someone else's cart! BAWAHWAHWAH!!!

Loukia said...

OMG this crackced me up so hard! I too have had the panic in the grocery store and I always leave my purse in the shopping cart! Hey, at least you didn't leave a kid behind, right? ;)