Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Movies.

When I was younger I had this list of favourite movies. Only they weren't my favourite movies, they were a list of movies I thought should be my favourite movies - probably because they were impressive, or because I knew everyone else liked them.

Someone would ask me, and I'd answer Shaw Shank Redemption, or the Godfather (both of which I do really like), or some other big name film.

I suppose as I get older, I begin to care less about what I should like, and more about the things I genuinely like. Even if they're so embarrassing I have to whisper them.

So when, on Valentines evening, J asked me which movie I really wanted to see, I told him the truth.

You've Got Mail. 

I don't care what you say, or how rubbish you think it is. I LOVE IT.

Some things you should probably not admit out loud, least of all on the Interwebs. But I don't care. I love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks together in this movie. I love the old fashioned love story. I love the cheesy lines. I love the size of their old-school lap tops that look more like brief cases than portable computers. I love the quaint little childrens' book store Meg Ryan's character owns that's so movie-styled it's completely unrealistic.


It may not be my all-time favourite movie (it's really the Godfather) (just kidding), but it is my go-to comfort film - the one I'd probably pick if I was sick and in bed with a cup of hot chocolate and a duvet over me, or if I was alone one evening with a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates.

And it's a welcome change from some of the modern movies we've been watching lately: Inception; The Town; The Social Network.

What about you? What are your guilty pleasure movies?


* p.s. Don't forget to enter my giveaway to win some super fabulous awesome lip glosses from Rocky Mountain Soap Company. You just have to be from Canada or the States to enter. Ends Friday.*

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

25 comments:

Daddy Geek Boy said...

When asking about favorite movies, I always say it's not about the movie you want to tell others is your favorite, but the one when you are flipping the channels and it comes on, you must watch.

My favorite movie is The Sure Thing.

My wife's favorite movie is also You've Got Mail. She quotes it often.

Lady Mama said...

Yay! So glad to hear I'm not alone!

Sparkless said...

My guilty pleasure movie is "Withnail and I". No one here gets it but I love it and have the DVD that I watch several times a year.

Bumbling said...

Cocktail.

Always has been ;-)

Mammatalk said...

Truthfully? I really dig Disney movies. Nemo, Toy Story, Alice in Wonderland. They are just so fantastic!

Tammy said...

Pretty Woman and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. :)

Elaine A. said...

I'm gonna have to go with Dirty Dancing. I know, it's bad. But I'll watch it every time.

And also? I love the word "rubbish"
Sometimes I wish I could hear you speak. :)

WhisperingWriter said...

I LOVE You've Got Mail too.

And Sleepless in Seattle. Great movies.

fiona2107 said...

LOVED you've got mail!

ACtually, I loved ALL the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movies...Sleepless in Seattle and even Joe vs the volcano! (Don't laugh at me!)

LisaDay said...

I love You Got Mail. I didn't realize it was on the list of movies you have to quietly like.

LisaDay

Lady Mama said...

LisaDay - apparently it isn't!

ModernMom said...

The Notebook. By myself so I can have a good ol cry!

Mwa said...

Oh mine are pretty bad: Van Wilder Party Liaison. It cracks me up. And Coming To America! Also love it. And Borat. And Love Actually. And Dirty Dancing. And Borat. And When Harry Met Sally. But mainly the first two. (I'm blushing now.)

Tammy said...

oh... and I like Zoolander.. makes me laugh every time.

Loukia said...

For me... Dazed and Confused, any day of the week. Dirty Dancing. Clueless. The Breakfast Club. Pretty In Pink. I also LOVE You've Got Mail! And When Harry Met Sally.

Swankgurl said...

Newer

The Holiday
Love Actually
Notting Hill

Older
Dirty Dancing
Grease
Sound of Music

Swankgurl said...

Terms of Endearment is a good one too.

Paul S said...

I love all those old Meg Ryan movies and like fiona 2107 I especially like Joe Versus The Volcano, although it's rare to meet anyone who's seen it.
My favourite Meg Ryan movie of all though has got to be Prelude To A Kiss:)

Momma Sunshine said...

My guilty pleasure movies are Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman and The Notebook. Can't help it...I'm a sucker for a love story. ;-)

Lisa said...

Hands down...When Harry Met Sally. I watch it every Christmas AND any time I'm sick. There's also...Titanic. What? It makes me feel like I'm king of the world! Oh, and Anne of Green Gables. I've watched that more times than I can count. And finally, of course, The Godfather (actually never seen it...just messing with you).

Gary@Leather Baby Shoes said...

I love Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn. Please don't tell anyone.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

We need these movies, don't we? Those feel good, have fun, enjoy some downtime movies. Great choices!

BellaMama said...

I just LOVE You've Got Mail, it's definitely the film I watch when I'm not feeling great - snuggled under a duvet! Oooh, that one and One Fine Day - love, love, love!!!

Metropolitan Mum said...

My favourite films were The Party with Peter Sellers, Breakfast Club, and Wild at Heart.
I am addicted to Gossip Girl these days. My taste in films has been way cooler back then...

nmaha said...

Don't call that bookshop unrealistic. I have plans to setup a very similar one when I retire at 40.

Oh! and my comfort movie is clueless (yes, I consider myself a timeless teen).