Monday, February 7, 2011

Red Lipstick and Cadillacs.

I don't own a red lipstick, I rarely wear figure-hugging clothes, and the last pair of high heeled shoes I owned wound up collecting dust on a shelf high up in a wardrobe. 

Which brings me to my question: Where has glamour gone, and where can I get some?

An odd question, for a cold, gray Monday morning in February. Perhaps it's the time of year. I've made it through several months of cold and snow, and I'm tired of seeing people dressed only in shades of gray and black. I'm ready to tell winter to Bite Me.

Or, more likely, it's because I've just finished watching all four seasons of the TV show Mad Men. Three years after everyone else watched it and talked about it, we started, and became completely hooked.

I'm sorry Lost, you just moved into second place.

The show has left an indelible mark on me. There are so many things I like: the familiar shenanigans of agency life (nothing changes); the flawed characters; the drinking of scotch in the morning; the acceptably full-figured women. But the thing I find the most alluring about the show, is the fashion. Or, more specifically, the glamour.

So much glamour oozing out of every scene. And, doesn't matter who it is, or what they're doing, there's an element of it in everyone. Betty driving to the store in her cashmere coat and pearls. Joan strutting through the office in one of her form-fitting dresses. Don meeting a client (or woman). Trudy, nine months pregnant and wearing the most incredibly bouncy, ruffly peach babydoll nightgown imaginable.


Not to get swept up in my TV bubble (too late), but Mad Men really captures the style of the era. There's something untouchable about the sixties. Fashion was revolutionary back then. Styles were new, but really new - not just a rehashed version of something we've already seen. It must have been so exciting.

I feel almost inappropriate or unrealistic - asking for glamour. It's not as though my weekly routine requires anything more than a pair of jeans and some comfortable shoes. Still, there has to be room in there somewhere, for a little. Right?

I don't even suit red lipstick, and I can't walk in high heels without looking like I'm in pain from the waist down, but screw it, I want some of that overly-feminine, swishy gown, polished hair-do, false eyelash, magic. Dammit I'm gonna get me some.




Images from amctv.com.


Are you glamorous? How do you do it?

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

10 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I am not glamourous, but ready to come back and hear what others who are have to say!!

Bear and Bones Mama said...

No glamour here. I'm not even sure how to go about it? I spend my days in jeans, shirts with the least stains, and a ponytail. My lipstick is lip balm. I don't own any makeup. I don't even know how to get dressed up when I have a wedding or something - FORGET heals, I won't even go there. Sigh. I might wear that cool polka dot dress you posted a picture of if I had any cleavage to speak of. But on me I'd look like a 4 year old. Not kidding.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

No glamour here. I'm not even sure how to go about it? I spend my days in jeans, shirts with the least stains, and a ponytail. My lipstick is lip balm. I don't own any makeup. I don't even know how to get dressed up when I have a wedding or something - FORGET heals, I won't even go there. Sigh. I might wear that cool polka dot dress you posted a picture of if I had any cleavage to speak of. But on me I'd look like a 4 year old. Not kidding.

Elaine A. said...

I try my best to be glamorous when the hubs and I go out alone (very rarely) but I don't wear dresses very often. I think that's the key to glamor. A nice frock. :)

ModernMom said...

Not glamorous here but try and rock the lipgloss and cute took in the winter. Ha! Does that count?

naomi said...

I only glam it up at the weekend but I cannot guarantee a skirt or dress. Unfortunately I live in my jeans and converse - much comfier.

Mwa said...

I am not glamourous at all, and I'm sure you're right about the February thing. Because I've just gone out and bought myself my first bits and pieces of makeup in over ten years, and I plan to use them soon. And I got me my first wedge-heeled boots a few days ago as well. We can glam it up together. Go Lady Mama!

WhisperingWriter said...

I should check out that show. I hear a lot about it.

I still love Lost the best though.

Capital Mom said...

I bought my first red libstick 2 weeks ago. I love it.

Swankgurl said...

I used to be glam all the time. Now, I pull it out for special times. Pretty rare. I have the heels, the lipstick and thank goodness I was a make-up artist in my 20s. I can bring it all together nicely. However, during the week and day to day I wear a uniform of yoga pants and runners or Uggs. My make-up always looks nice, but I even wear a hat to hide my hair most days. Winter rocks because I can basically wear PJs to drop B off at school and nobody knows as I have a parka on. How lazy is that?! ;)

I just finished all the seasons of Mad Men too. LOVE the show and it definitely makes me want to make more of an effort. I just don't think I would want to wear a big corseted dress to watch TV in!