Sunday, March 13, 2011

His Smart Remark.

In a moment of frustration, my son discovers a new rebuttal - a thing designed to tell me he's mad and simultaneously poke me where it hurts.

In the middle of an argument in which he's being told no, he may not watch any more TV, he looks at me, then to the side, his blue eyes narrow, thinking, before he expels the words.

"Go to work, Mummy."

Emphasis on the weeeeeerk.

My eyes are fixed on the carrots I'm chopping into rounds, not letting on that his remark might have vexed me. Instead I find a distraction, move onto something else.

The next time he says it, he adds a little more blow to his punch.

"Go to work Mummy. And I'll stay at home with Daddy."

Emphasis on the Daaadddddyyyy.

My first reaction is a pang of hurt, like a tiny pixie stabbed me in an emotionally exposed place.

But I recover from the pang of hurt. Perhaps a bit too quickly. Because my second thought is - work! Awesome idea! AWESOME! Not in a mean way, but in an, actually you might be onto something there! kind of way.

"Okay. Maybe I will."

He looks at me, trying to read my reaction. Seconds later, he forgets all about it and runs off to find his brother. 

I'm not sure what's worse - the fact that he's using that particular sentiment to provoke me, or the fact that I think it's not a terrible idea. I'm torn between wanting to be here all the time, and wanting to increase my work hours. Even though for a few seconds every time I leave the house I feel that awful twinge of guilt. Even though most of the time I'm exhausted before I even get to work late in the afternoon.

My son runs in. "I love you Mummy!"

Out of nowhere.

I melt.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

7 comments:

fiona2107 said...

Dont you just love how you quickly you can go from wanting to thumb your child to melting!!


Your son has found what button to push hehehe

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

He knew what he was doing, didn't he? Smart little guy you have there.

Elaine A. said...

How does he know? Perhaps they understand better than we think, huh? Geez,

WhisperingWriter said...

Aww.

I love when my daughter randomly says that she loves me.

James (SeattleDad) said...

You are easy pickins. You need to talk more about going to more often. Just imagine the love you'll get.

Mwa said...

I know that feeling. I reckon it would do my kids good if I was out of the house a bit more. It brings perspective for everyone. And they do appreciate you more when you're there. When my youngest turns 2 or 3 I will be savouring all those delights too.

LisaDay said...

Manipulative little creatures. I hurt for you.

LisaDay