Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How to make believe Spring is coming.

What do you do when, on March 1st, you wake up and see this out your window?



And then, to add to your misery, you check the weather forecast and it says this.



And as you gaze out at the snowy panorama, you think back, to a long time ago when you could see the green grass, beckoning your bare feet, and your children ran up and down in bathing suits, wielding popsicles and dancing in sprinklers. And you could feel the warmth of the sun on your skin as you bent over to smell a flower in bloom. And everything was yellow and happy.


But then, for a second, you wondered whether, perhaps you just imagined it. It was so long ago, after all.


What do you do? 

Do you throw yourself on the floor in a screaming fit of rage against the cruelty of the everlasting winter?

Maybe.


Or perhaps you go to Twitter and spew your raving anger there, for the tenth time that week.


Or maybe, because it's minus twenty zillion degrees and you're stuck indoors with your kids, you bake five dozen chocolate chip cookies and eat a stack of them.


Or, when your spouse arrives home, before he's even taken off his coat you whip out a map of the world and point to other, more favourable, non-freezing places where you could live.


Yes, yes, all of those.

But then, the realization sinks in, that yes, you live in the coldest tundra on earth (almost), and yes, you want to scream every time you see another snowy day, but your kids are in school here, you have a place of work, friends, neighbours and community. And like it or not, for now, you're going to have to make the best of it.

So, you pull on your woolly toque, your snow boots and six sweaters, and drive out to the mall, to find shiny, happy objects that remind you of sunnier times and which will lull you into a false sense of spring. Because damn it - if I can't have spring, I'm going to pretend it's spring anyway.


And you find, to your heart's content, a pair of gold boat shoes - which? Perfect!




So you see, it may still be winter outside, on March 1st, but I have shiny gold boat shoes. And though I may not get to wear them for another three months, they make me happy.




Tell me readers, how do you stay positive during the winter?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

15 comments:

..... Carmen said...

I keep all the blinds closed so I can't see the cold outside :) I like your shiny shoes!

Lady Mama said...

Thank you. :) Good idea about the blinds.

Elaine A. said...

Love the shoes as a "pick me up"! :)

Come on down. Spring has already arrived. (don't hate me). I'm almost sure I've left this same comment before....... ;P

Lady Mama said...

Elaine - isn't it always spring or summer where you are?!

Stephanie Faris said...

Those shoes are SO cute!

I've never seen a temperature like that. I think it's gotten below 0 here late at night but never much below 0. 2 or 3 degrees below makes news.

James (SeattleDad) said...

You're supposed to click them together and say "There's no place like Hawaii, There's no place like Hawaii!"

jazzygal said...

Hi there, found your blog via Tots 100!

Oh my, -28 degrees?? I cannot even fathom that. Ireland hit temperatures of between -10 and -19 this winter and we thought the world might be ending!

You have it sorted though... with your cool gold shoes ;-)

xx jazzy

If I Could Escape . . . said...

Well, after 20 years of endless summer heat and humidity, I am absolutely loving the cooler weather although ... that is a little too cold isn't it?

ModernMom said...

I just painted my toes a bright pink. I'm pretending that helps:)

Loukia said...

The only time I was happy this winter was that one week when we were in hot and sunny Florida. Then I got back to Canada and the misery started again. I HATE WINTER! We are soooo close to spring, though... so close. Please. Hurry. Up. Spring!!!

Mwa said...

I've been experimenting with makeup. Although to be honest if our winter was like your winter, I'd probably go completely loopy. I admire you for staying so positive!

LisaDay said...

Just when I want to throw myself off a tall building, spring arrives for real.

It's sunny today and that helps, too. May summer come sooner rather than later.

lisaDay

WhisperingWriter said...

I like your shiny shoes.

Sorry about the cold. In Wyoming it can get cold like that too so I know how it goes.

Amanda said...

The day you wrote this was the same day that CBC announced Calgary had had snow on the ground for 110 consecutive days... and clearly there's no sign of that changing anytime soon (brrr).

What can we do, besides stay warm, drink wine (loved your healthy eating post... things are bad here too and I just signed up for WW online, the hammer falls tomorrow - must go eat something bad while I can!), get outside when the temperature creeps over minus 5 and (most importantly) feel very smug that we survive in this climate. It's so... Canadian. ;-)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Love the shoes. Shiny leather sunshine.