Monday, April 11, 2011

Room With A Mountain View

Lots of couples went away together last weekend, but I'd be willing to bet few were as excited or as appreciative as us: two run-ragged parents on our first getaway together in four years.


Image from TravelPod.com

And because it was our first time away together alone since becoming parents, we splurged and stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel, a castle in the mountains. 


We took advantage of every opportunity to do the kinds of things parents of small kids don't often get to do. We wandered around town, pausing at any place we fancied. We ate out at nice restaurants, enjoying delicious meals that someone else would later clear away and drinking too many cocktails just because we could. We idled away time in an outdoor pool fed by the local hot springs and wondered if we'd found paradise.  


In between outings we spent some time just walking up and down the hallways of the hotel, admiring architectural details, winding stone staircases, vaulted ceilings and grand dining rooms.

 Can I please live here please?

In the morning, we ate breakfast against a view of the mountains (the most incredible breakfast buffet I've ever seen) (I ate enough to last the week).



For a few days we basked in the glory of being just a couple again. It was refreshing, inspiring. And then we returned, more grateful than ever, to sweet kisses and hugs back at home. 

Now we just need to figure out how to do this more often... (than every four years)


This post is just my description of our weekend getaway. It was not paid for or sponsored by anyone.

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

14 comments:

Christy said...

Oh I SOOO needed to read this today. I am so happy you guys had a great time, and appreciated every moment, and everything went fine. I just this morning wrote about our first weekend away from our kids since our oldest was born three years ago - scheduled for next month - and am totally stressed about it. I am hoping and praying it all works out and in 6 weeks I write a post just like this one. Except instead of Banff Castle (which looks absolutely lovely! Adding it to my list of places to visit!) we'll be going to sunny Florida.

Your photos are just lovely! Orange juice in a wine glass - oh how I miss those days. :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Yay! I visited that hotel (just for a few hours!) several years back while in Banff. The place was unbelievable! I am way jealous!

Lisa said...

Wow. Just, wow. Jealous, I mean, happy for you. ;)

blueviolet said...

I went there as a child, and I had forgotten how unbelievably beautiful and picturesque the area is. You're lucky!

Loukia said...

I'm so happy for you! What an amazing time you had! I love Banff and my family and I stayed at the Banff Springs hotel, too, in the winter. It was so, so beautiful, and I really do want to go back. Great pictures! Awesome that you got this getaway!

ModernMom said...

Oh it looks fabulous! So beautiful! It really is important to get away every once in a while isn't? Thanks for the reminder:)

WhisperingWriter said...

Soo pretty.

I hope to getaway when my husband gets back.

I sort of get to get away on my own next month. I'm going to NYC with my best friend for a few days. No kids. Freedom.

Shell said...

Wow, that place looks gorgeous! What a fun weekend!

Jenn said...

First time stopping by your blog and I'm a follower now, hi!
I used to live in Calgary so we'd head over to Banff every once in a while and I always loved it-and having a getaway with the hubs sounds wonderful!

diney said...

I've never been there but it looks amazing! We haven't had a holiday (more than 1 night) just the two of us for 30 years, believe it or not!!! Having said that, obviously the kids have gone for sleepovers over the years, so we have had a chance to chill out for a meal and a lie in the following day, but that's about it!

Tammy said...

Looks amazing!!!! Love this post! Now I'm daydreaming of a getaway... :) Sounds wonderful!

James (SeattleDad) said...

I was there as a child too. Only about 2 or 3 and all I can remember is how beautiful it was.

Need to go back.

Glad you could get away.

Tracy said...

Wow, that place looks absolutely fabulous!!!

Mwa said...

That sounds like heaven!

(I need me some of that - soon.)