Monday, May 23, 2011

Evolving.

Hello readers!

Wow, so, three weeks. I'd like to tell you that in three weeks I've accomplished a lot but really, I haven't. I've focused on my job; I've enjoyed being a mum to two high-energy, eat-like-elephants, amazing boys; I've hung out with friends; I've congratulated a friend on the birth of her third baby; I've enjoyed reading my friend Carmen's new blog; I've finally gotten a little sun (and, oops, a little sunburn too); I've planted some veggies in my garden; I've done lots and I've done little.

It's been lovely taking a break from blogging, but of course I've missed it. And like any project, taking a break helps put things into perspective: you begin to see clearly which things are important and which things aren't.

When I started writing this blog three years ago I was pregnant with my second son, O, getting ready to exist as a mother of two very small children and not sure what to expect. In a funny way this blog saved me, because being able to put on paper (or, rather, online) the good stories, and the bad (especially the bad!), and the questions and the fears, gave me a much-needed outlet and, more importantly, a way to connect with other mothers going through similar scenarios.

As life goes through its inevitable phases I too am entering another. Three years ago I was caught up entirely in the business of mothering two small children, and while I'm still very much caught up in it, I'm also now caught up in other things, too.

So I'm going to turn this blog ninety degrees and take it in a slightly different direction - one that's a truer reflection of me. As well as the parenting stories, I'm going to talk about some of the things I used to love. Some of things I'm beginning to love again.

Like, design.

Before I was a mother I loved design. I studied it (interior design, furniture design and graphics) at university in London and then went onto work in that field for years. We were constantly preoccupied by design (I met J at that same university). We pretty much lived and breathed it - always on the lookout for new ideas and inspiration wherever we went. I loved fashion. I loved finding nice things for our home. And I loved that I could locate good design it anywhere and everywhere, if I just looked. When I became a mum it was easy to let it slip away a little, taking a backseat for other, more pressing matters. And then, a few years later, I realized I needed to rediscover my passion for design. Because pretty things make me happy. The end.

And, like, wellness.

Because since I started working as a therapist last year, wellness has become intrinsically woven into my life. I find myself surrounded by the facts of good health and the results of bad health. I find myself naturally drawn to find out more about how to live a healthy life and how to be happy(er). I've been learning how to breathe (trust me on this). And I apologize in advance, but I feel the need to share it with you.

So there'll be a little of this and a little of that.

And, I don't know, we'll see.

But enough about me. How are you? What's new?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

11 comments:

Loukia said...

I'm so glad you'll be talking about all sorts of things that interest you now! I too am starting to talk about things that aren't only about children... although still the most important thing in life, it's fun to read about other things as well! :)

Carmen said...

Glad to see you back :) Your writing makes me smile. Looking forward to the changes your blog will showcase!

Elaine A. said...

Both of these new additions to your writing here sound wonderful! Excited to see what you'll share with us. I have a background in interiors as well so, I'll totally come read/see what you got! :D

Glad to "see" you again my dear!

blueviolet said...

I love that you're turning the blog into more a true reflection of you. That's wonderful! Looking forward to all you do!

blueviolet said...

I love that you're turning the blog into more a true reflection of you. That's wonderful! Looking forward to all you do!

Nina Innocentia @ changing bags said...

It is good to reknew your connection with yourself nad the tings that feed your soul and make you, you.After my twins it took me a little time to discover myself again, (I had mistakenly left myself in the laundry basket!). On a serious note, it is enrichig for yuour children to have a Mummy that hasa life outside of them, that can inspire and teach. Enjoy the next stage of your journey.




designer changing bags

Christy said...

Missed your posts and excited to see what you have up your sleeve now. I love design and just became healthy last year (did you know I lost 40 pounds? And THEN got pregnant. Argh! :))
So I'm excited about the changes here! Yay!

diney said...

It's great to take time out to re evaluate and renew. The new ideas sound great - good luck!

fourdayshome said...

You had me scared that you were giving the blog up. I love your writing and can't wait to see the new direction!

Lady Mama said...

Thanks guys!

Mwa said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about all of it! I'm glad you're back and getting back into the things you love. x