Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Favourite Kids Books So Far 2011

It's crazy to think we only discovered the library a few months ago. Since then, a whole new world of kids' literature has opened up for us. Once or twice a week we go and replenish our collection with new reading material - with all kinds of books we we might not otherwise see.

One of the best things about the library is that you get to discover your favourites for free, before spending wads of cash on a million books you might not love.

Since we became avid library-goers, a few striking favourites have emerged.


How to raise a dinosaur, written by Natasha Wing, illustrated by Pablo Bernasconi. 

For our dinosaur-obsessed boys, this is one of the best dinosaur books we've come across - and we've seen a lot. The illustrations are exquisite, the concept is funny, and the book is full of interactive flaps.



Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale, by Mo Willems

We've read this book countless times. There's something charming and relatable about the story for young kids and adults - clearly the writer, Mo Willems, had this in mind when he wrote the stories. So loved was this book, that we went on to read Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion and Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity.
Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, by Mo Willems

Another Mo Willems book. My sons hooted and cackled as we read this book over and over. It's read from the perspective of the pigeon, who relentlessly tries to coax you into letting him have his way. Hillarious.



The Secret Birthday Message, by Eric Carle


I picked this up one day for no other reason than Eric Carle is one of our favourite authors (this grouchy one excepted). It's the kind of book that really lets the imagination run wild. As the secret message unfolds, the reader is taken through a visual adventure.




Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend, by Mélanie Watt

A tale about a cautious Squirrel who weighs up all the risks before venturing out to make a new friend. There's a nice combination of pictures and diagrams that make the book visually interesting to read with a child. And, in the end, the lesson is a good one: nothing ventured nothing gained. Scaredy Squirrel makes his friend even though its not who he had expected.




A Book of Sleep, by Il Sung Na

I'm not sure whether I love this book because of the sleep-inducing story (sleep inducing in a good way), or the lovely illustrations that I've considered sourcing, printing and framing. Whatever the reason, this is one beautiful book, and a great bed-time read for kids.

  

Big Earth Little Me, by Thom Whiley

A nice way to introduce simple ideas about protecting the environment, this book is even printed with soy ink. It's aimed at younger kids, but both of my sons liked this one.






How about you - what are your kids' favourite books right now?
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Christy said...

I love books by Eric Carle and the Pigeon series! Right now our favorite is a book of stories about a farm where the farmer is Mrs Boot and the kids are Poppy and Sam - the name escapes me right now. But I have to read that book EVERY night. Or else! Ha!

Kori Donahue said...

Great choices honey! I'd love to have you add my book to your summer reading list! I hope you're having a wonderful Tuesday doll! I have some great news on my blog about my writing! I hope you can check it out. Enjoy your day! Kori xoxo

www.blondeepisodes.com
www.koridonahue.com

Annie @ PhD in Parenting said...

These are some of our favourites too. But there are a few that are new to me too. I'll check them out for sure!

LisaDay said...

I just took out a pile of Melanie Watt books and my guy is not interested. I have to read them in secret and giggle.

LisaDay

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You have 2 of my favorite authors on here! I love Melanie Watts and Mo Willams!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Bobo Siebenschlaefer - it's one of the few German books we own and I am quite happy that little L likes it. It's hard to make her speak German when all the other kids around her speak English.

Loukia said...

Great books! We love going to the library - it sure is a lot less expensive than Chapters, you know? My boys go through favourite book phases... right now we're into Richard Scarry again!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

We LOVE Mo Willems, and Eric Carle and Melanie Watt. If you haven't checked them out, try the books by Oliver Jeffers (especially the book eating boy one) - they are fantastic!