Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year's Resolutions Are For The Strong.

Some say that making New Year's Resolutions is a bad idea. They wave the concept away as if one is making unrealistic promises to oneself, setting unattainable goals that look good only on paper and will never actually be achieved.

I say screw that: I love making New Year's Resolutions. And I maintain that making them is a good thing for anyone. Each year I become completely absorbed in the idea that the forthcoming year is a time for fresh starts and new beginnings, a chance to scratch away some of those less-than-admirable moments of the past year, and start up again with a new optimism and a new approach to as little or as much as you please.

I say that anything that prompts you to attempt to be a better, happier, healthier person is a good thing. If that means doing it on your birthday - great. Or on a random day of the year - excellent. For me, it's the start of a new year.

Writing my list of resolutions inspires me. Some are realistic and some are not, but there's always the idea that those resolutions exist, that those aspirations are written there on paper, whether or not they ever really happen.

My list of New Year's Resolutions ranges from completely bonkers (write a book; go for a run every day; learn how to sew; stop snacking) to moderately doable (get all my photographs in order; back up my computer files; be better at remembering birthdays) to utterly realistic and why-the-hell-am-I-not-already-doing-these-things (be smarter with my money; keep life simple; do something creative that I enjoy, be more thankful).

When I write a list of things I'm going to be better at next year I'm filled with motivation, as though there is a this sparkly new opportunity to improve. There's always room to be better: better mum, better wife, better daughter and friend, better neighbour. No matter that I don't accomplish everything on my list, the point is this: the list is there; the list is designed to push myself to be a better person; the list helps me believe I can change certain things; the list gives me great hope that the year ahead is going to be good.

And there's a chance that, in a few months, I'll find my list at the bottom of a pile of paperwork I never did get around to filing, but for now, it's a good thing.

How about you? Are you making any resolutions this year?

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

5 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

To get healthy! I think it is about time I get on that, huh!?

Loukia said...

I want to make a list, but I'm kind of scared... to many things to do, and the fear of having to get them all done, scares me. BUT topping the list, is losting weight. AS USUAL. like Sara says: GET HEALTHY! And I just want to be more patient, and spend as much time as I can with my kids. :)

Loukia said...

And Happy New Year to you! xo

SassyModernMom said...

I don't usually make a list but do try and set some loosely goosey goals:) Eat less junk, be a little more organized, spend more time with the kids. Looking forward to 2012 and excited to see what it will hold!
Happy New Year!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Mine is always about weight and getting healthy. Always