Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Magic Ice Cream.

Every year, during this season of goodwill and unrelenting illness, I have a little word with myself. I tell myself that yes, we're all sick, again for the third (or fourth or fifth) time so far this winter, but what's really happening is that we're paying upfront for future years of strong immune systems and infrequent sickness. I'm right. I am right? Right? I must be. I like to tell myself this otherwise I might punch the wall. I'm trying to stay positive. Really trying.

Just last month I found myself driving to emergency at 11:30 on a snowy Saturday night with my younger son, who it turned out had croup. Then yesterday once again I loaded the car with crying people and drove to the emergency - this time the one at the Children's Hospital - for my older son who's leg was causing him great pain for no obvious reason.

(Can I just say that the Alberta Children's Hospital is a really fantastic place and I am so extremely thankful it's in my city.)

Four-and-a-half hours in hospital, a ride in a wheel chair, an x-ray, a wrestling match with a nurse and a tube of medicine and several brain-grinding hours of Treehouse later and the doctor presented my son's diagnosis: toxic synoviris - a virus that settles in the hip joint, causing pain to the entire leg and making it almost impossible to walk. Thankfully, it's not too serious and usually clears up in a week or two.

Fingers triple crossed. Because as viruses go, this one sucks in a major way.

"Just make sure he takes some anti-inflammatories." The doctor advised before we left the hospital. I nodded obediently, picturing the scene: me trying to persuade my son to drink his medicine; him refusing; me trying harder; him telling me he will NEVER AS LONG AS HE LIVES NO MATTER WHAT drink that stuff; me trying harder still; him flat-out refusing; me lying on the floor, tired and defeated.

Feeding medicine to my son is (I imagine) sort of like what would happen if you tried to feed toothpaste to a tiger.

So, back at home I came up with another plan.

Magic ice cream!

Or, in other words, ice cream with crushed anti-inflammatory tablets stirred in. With love, of course.

The (magic) ice cream went down nicely and I relaxed in the knowledge that my sneaky efforts would result in my son getting a little relief. And as I watched him eating his medicine without the slightest suspicion, I considered what a mad and unpredictable ride parenting is. Just when I think I have a handle on all things child-related, something new and unforeseen pops up to keep me on my toes.

And now, with a cold starting up in my own body, I might need some magic ice cream too.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my kids hit school they were sick constantly from Sept to Mar. Or it seemed that way to me. Now that they are teens they hardly ever get sick and if they do they don't get really sick. So yes, your boys are building up their immunities for future good health.

Carmen said...

As I said on the phone, thank goodness for icecream :). Would they work dissolved in juice too for the am? Perhaps cherry flavor in raspberry juice?

Lady Mama said...

Anonymous - thank you thank you!

Carmen - I haven't tried dissolving it in juice but will have to give that a go! :-)

LisaDay said...

My fear is that they won't eat the section with the magic part in it. Good luck with your sickness.

LisaDay

Christy said...

You're back! YAY! And boo for the sickness and virus. That does sound nasty indeed. But yay for the magic ice cream and the creative parenting. Parenting is just unrelenting isn't it? And in these cold winter months it can be SO HARD!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Hope you guys get healthy - My kids seem to always be sick too. I wish I could send them to school in a large bubble. I consider homeschooling every time they get sick actually. But then I give my head a shake and move on. :)

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Oh, good idea! My kids have been down and out a lot too. In fact? Have a sick one at home right now!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

omg! I had SUCH weird viruses like that too. I'm gonna have to write about it sometime, but I feel for him because I know that pain.

Ice cream is good, good medicine.