Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's Never Too Early To Start Dreaming Of Summer.

Since moving to Calgary almost seven years ago I've complained about winters slightly more than my fair share. Last winter was a particularly bad one, with little relief from the relentless cold and snow, and at one point I actually threw a tantrum that would match that of any six year old girl: I was shoveling snow one day, cold through to my core, my hands and face red from the -20 wind. Worst of all, it was April. Sodding April.

I threw down my shovel and stomped inside (at that point I may or may not have burst into tears) and began my outpouring of the unfairness of it all. I protested that I couldn't live here any more / it was too much / no human being should have to put up with so much winter / it was NUTS / it was ALL WRONG / other people were at that moment living in warm, sunny climes with cocktail umbrellas and floating pool beds. I mean! Really! Cocktail umbrellas!

And then I took a breath and a hot bath. And before long it was summer and everything was okay again.

This winter, on the other hand, has been fantastic. And by fantastic I mean totally manageable for a Calgary winter. And after not having endured a bad winter this year, I can almost smell Spring in the air. And even if Spring is still in reality a few months away it doesn't matter because it's all good.

The thing I absolutely love about this time of year, is the anticipation of all the great things summer brings. But it wasn't until I saw this picture a few days ago on Design Mom's site - an irresistible display of colourful ballet shoes which I immediately Pinterested - that I felt it. And just like that I was in the mood for spring and summer.

These are the things I'm looking forward to this year:

1) Holidays: we've booked our flight and we're going to England. All four of us: two adults, two children and a whole heap of electronic games, colouring pens, candies and anything else that helps us survive the 9-hour flight. I'm excited about the trip - of seeing my family for the first time in a while, and of meeting my brand new little nephew (who I might have to steal and bring back in my suitcase).

2) Summer fashion: As usual, when it comes to summer, I can't get my mind off stripes. As far as I'm concerned every item in my wardrobe should be stripey.

This t-shirt from Joe Fresh reminds me of a t-shirt I bought when I was in Paris about ten years ago.
Every woman needs a great summer dress. I love this light, floaty one from H&M


This year I'm in the mood for a pleated skirt, too. Whether or not I can pull it off remains to be seen. This pretty white one is from Top Shop.


A feminine shirt is always great to have on hand for long summer evenings or to slip over a bathing suit. I like this white embroidered one from Zara.


I love this simple, long gold chain with turquoise beads from Charm & Chain. It would go with so many outfits.



These wedge sandals from Barefoot Tess feel like summer to me. I wonder what colour pedicure would go with them?

3. Ice cream: There's a great little ice cream store a short drive from where we live with the most amazing assortment of flavours, and one of our favourite things to do on a lazy afternoon is to take the kids down there and hang out with our ice creams in the park across the road.   

4. Long summer evenings: I'm a woman of simple wants. A patio barbecue, a glass of wine, and nothing but the rest of the evening to watch the children exhaust themselves in the paddling pool, is my idea of heaven. 

5. Pedicures: It's the only time of year I do it, but I love the look of freshly-painted toenails.



What are you looking forward to this year?



No compensation was received for any of the above mentions. All content is simply my own opinion.
Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

7 comments:

Carmen said...

Youve made me start dreaming of summer now too - sigh. Can't wait :) Mine is going to involve the largest belly imaginable, drinking too much lemonade, time spent in the backyard near a pool listening to the giggles of my two while anticipating the birth of my third. It's going to be good. So good :)

Unknown said...

My favorite Ice Cream Shoppe! Meet you there the first day above 20.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Great fashion choices! Yay for the trip to see family! and? I agree. Minnesota has had a nice winter too, and we DESERVE IT!!!

Kristy said...

It's always nice to have things to look forward to! I have a trip to my family this month, a trip to Vegas with a friend in April, and a trip to Mexico with my family in June!

If I Could Escape said...

Love, love, love all those!! And, you're back blogging?? When, how, why? I'm tagging you over on my blog today so watch out!!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

I love summer because it makes me get pedicures like you've mentioned. I feel so much better when my feet are all prettied up.

I like being able to go out without a coat. So less cumbersome in the car, etc!

Loukia said...

Seriously, I cannot WAIT for warmer days... I miss summer so badly! It's beyond cold here today. Minus 27 degrees. Bitter, awful cold. Kide sick, non-stop. Blah. Hurry up, summer!