Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Strange And Random Things That Make Me Cry Since Becoming A Parent.

Something must have happened inside my brain when I was expecting my babies - some kind of permanent chemical change. Perhaps too many hormones crossed over from the placenta into my bloodstream. Or perhaps all the jumping, prodding and jabbing those babies did when they were growing inside me dislodged something (part of a rib, maybe?) and sent it elsewhere (I got it! Part of a rib relocated to my brain!). It's the only explanation I can think of. Because since becoming a mother my emotional filter - the one that stops me from crying over completely random and pointless things in public - no longer works.

It's the reason I sometimes avoid listening to the news. It's the reason I refuse to watch Saving Private Ryan or basically any sad movie. It's why I carry a supply of tissues in my purse.

The only semi-good thing about this, is that I've managed to narrow down the specific moments that these emotional outbursts tend to happen.

Weddings: It's just a matter of time before I'm rustling in my bag for a Kleenex. The moment the ceremony starts, and the couple begins reciting their vows, there I am, crying (sometimes even more than the mothers of the bride/groom!). There I am, digging around for more tissues and trying to stifle my slightly-inappropriate sobs.  

Airports: There's something about airports. The arrival and departure lounges - the long sad goodbyes and the emotional hellos. People hugging one another with that slightly-too-tight-for-comfort embrace because the thought of letting go just yet is too hard. The moment I step in, my eyes begin to water. I tell myself to stop but those damn hormones (or that piece of rib) won't listen. And so, next time you're checking your bags and you notice a woman with dark glasses power-walking through the terminal with tissues falling out of her back pocket - it might be me.

Sad movies: Enough said. I know you know what I mean.

Sad songs: Don't ever play the song Landslide near me. (Seriously, don't even click on that link.)

And one last thing. One random, bizarre thing that's sure to prompt the snivels.

Hallmark Cards: Specifically the ones with the really long, cheesy verses that go something like...


 Through the years...
You've been there for me...
You held me tight...
When I was sad...
You picked me up...
When I was down...
You were always there for me...
Now I'm here for you too...
Blah Blah Blah Sadness Sadness Boo Hoo

And I know! Those cards are so tacky and impersonal! But still. There I am with my soggy tissues.

It's bloody madness! 


Dear hormones, go screw yourself. Thanks.



Image clker.com




How about you? What makes you cry since becoming a parent?

Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

4 comments:

Loukia said...

I am the very same way, and it's getting worse as the days go by. I cry over everything! TV shows are the worst - like Grey's. And! Songs, most definitely. Also? Commercials, especially the ones that show a child growing up through the years. And the news... I weep every single day.

Lady Mama said...

Oh yes - Grey's! I can't watch it at all anymore!

Sparkless said...

Every since perimenopause came to call I'm going through puberty backwards and the hormones are kicking my butt. I sometimes cry just thinking about little animals or babies. Makes no sense at all!

Kristy said...

I know, I know. Can I have a tissue? Even today, I was horrified as I talked with a teacher (I'm a school psychologist) about a conversation I'd had with a parent that day. Just relaying it - "she's taking him to the doctor, she is really concerned," - I was teary and wiping my eyes!