Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Banana That Wouldn't Back Down.

I knew when he was only little that my son was going to be a bit on the stubborn side. Kind of like me, actually. Determined, wanting to be right, and irrefutably unwilling to back down in an argument. And I guess that's why the conversation about who was going to dispose of his half-eaten banana went on for a full thirty minutes.

He perched on the edge of an armchair, his face tired and pouty, worn out from being outside all morning in unseasonably warm April weather and a kids' birthday party in the afternoon, the remains of his banana in his outstretched hand.

"Who is going to throw away my banana?"

The question was so pensive it could have come from a senior-ranking army general, deciding whether or not to attack the other side.

J and I, being the type of parents to encourage our kids to help out around the house, and not under any circumstances to be pushed around by our offspring, immediately produced the same response.

"You are going to throw away your banana."

My son threw back his head in displeasure, letting out a sigh.

It's a tough life when you're an almost-five-year-old your only real worry in life is about which Hot Wheels cars to pluck from the toy bin today, or which nose to stick on Mr. Potato Head. 

"I'm not throwing it away."

"Then there are only three options:" Said J. "You can throw it away, eat it, or hold it. All night."

About ten minutes later, J and I were reading when suddenly we heard a great sigh.

Still with the banana.

"WHO is going to throw away my BANANA?"

"Er. Didn't we just answer that question? No one is going to throw away your banana, except you. The end." I said.

My son has a particular way of glaring at me that only a child of his age can, with a perfect combination of cute and cross. Lips pursed, brow furrowed.

"Take your banana to the bin. You know where it is - under the kitchen sink. That's all you have to do."

I carried on reading, unwilling to carry on the discussion about the flipping banana.

More minutes passed and there was another sigh.

"Good God. Seriously. Are you still holding that banana?" I asked my son.

"I still don't know who is going to...."

"That's it! Go and put it in the bin right now."

But he didn't. He lingered, hovering near me on the sofa, lying, then sitting, then lying again, his banana-hand still outstretched, obstinate and unrelenting.

And I realized, this boy is not only as stubborn as me, he's even more stubborn than me. Oh boy.

Some minutes later, as the banana became increasingly disgusting and now had dog hair stuck to it, he quietly took it to the bin and without a word tossed it in there. 




Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To Reddit Bookmark Twitter

17 comments:

AlwaysARedhead said...

Oh my goodness, stubborn but sounds like a sweetie, though you may be in some trouble when he is older.

Bibliomama said...

HA. HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. WHO is going to throw out my banana? Will no one relieve me of this tiresome banana? Words cannot describe how much I love this.

Lady Mama said...

Since writing this I've learned that the banana did NOT EVEN make it into the bin. It's still on the kitchen counter. Someone pass me the wine.

clovesandcinnamon said...

HA! Sounds exactly like my daughter!! They are stubborn!!!

BTW I've missed commenting on your older posts, and just wanted to say you looked amazing in that full lenght shot of you earlier!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Oh my gosh, I've seen stubborn, but that is UNBELIEVABLE!

Lady Mama said...

clovesandcinnamon - thank you!

Loukia said...

Oh, you do have a stubborn little dude on your hands! I feel your pain, mama, because you know what... my four year old is JUST as stubborn! Oh my goodness... we are in trouble!

Metropolitan Mum said...

On the kitchen counter? The cheek!! You should offer it to him for breakfast - clearly he wanted to save it for later ;-)

James (SeattleDad) said...

Oh yeah, that sounds so familiar. I am more of a pushover than Mrs. LIAYF, but we have him doing chores and cleaning up after himself. Most of the time it works, but there are certainly banana type incidents here. Good on you for holding firm.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

He sounds like my youngest! Amazing how stubborn they can be!!! Mine would rather go to time out than pick his stuff up!

My Educational Journey said...

love the banana story, I can envision the pouting face, he does have that down to an art

and like the response about left over banana for breakfast

and on the other hand, I can still remember being in preschool, and being told I had to sit at the lunch table, until I ate my (cold) overcooked spinach. I sat there until my mom came to pick me up at the end of the day. sometimes it is important to be stubborn when you are young

Life in Transition said...

As someone who spends a large part of their time as a nanny, this post made me laugh sooooo much - at least I'm not the only one who goes through this regularly!
Lexi

LisaDay said...

Ha, ha, ha. I think I would have backed down just so I didn't have to smell dog-haired banana.

LisaDay

Heather Dray said...

Ah, 5-year-olds are so darling. And crazy. And cross. And don't forget...they are always right. Good luck with that little dude.

Stephanie said...

LOL Oh my goodness I have one of those subborn bananas at my house. I will gladly share that bottle of wine with you!

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

I have one of those stubborn kids also. Of course, she gets it from her father. Hehehehe ;-)

http://www.memoirsofmeandmine.com/

Lynne said...

My daughter will leave a piece of dinner in her mouth for 20 minutes or more. She says if it tastes bad she has to chew it slowly. At least she isn't my son, who either claps his hand over his mouth to avoid said dinner ever going in, or immediately spits it back out. My kids go to bed "hungry" a lot.